Winston

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cricket52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Winston Reply with quote

Winston (as in Churchill) is a blue budgie that was given to me by my 30 year old special needs daughter (my 12 year old's mom). She seemed to think I needed a bird.

Love bird and budgies have been a part of my past as well as cats and dogs. I do have a soft spot for birds though. Trouble is, with a child that needs constant supervision and support and trying to get through my days a bird is like having another child.

Winston is still young and trainable. I should be enjoying him. He will need a lot of attention if I am going to hand tame him. He is refusing his treats, I have yet to find something he likes.

He may not be a he. Sexing him has been a problem and since it's subzero outside I won't be taking him to a vet. I have a feeling he is a she, he is not very vocal.

I have budgie sounds on my computer which I play for him and we are working on 'kisses'. He opens his beak now when I mention kisses. That exercise has taken three weeks of work.

Sigh. It is work. I hate that I am becoming an old poop with no energy to appreciate the little joys in life. This 'little joy' is stressful right now. I won't ignore him, the little guy deserves to be part of the family.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. A pet is a responsibility, and sometimes I want to run and hide from any more responsibilities.

A couple of times I've thought about getting a second cat, so that the cat I now have would have a pal, but quickly rejected the idea. Too much responsibility!

A budgie is a parakeet, isn't it? I recall years ago some relatives had a parakeet, and it seemed to me that all they did was clean his cage and give him food and water, but maybe they'd already been through the training process with him when I saw him.

How long does the training take? Maybe once you get through with that, it will be much easier--?

Are there some other responsibilities you could neglect a bit so you can have more time and energy for Winston?
cricket52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Agate:

Yep, a budgie is a parakeet, native of Australia. The are considered to be the Einsteins and Shakespeares of the bird world. A tamed bird can perform tricks, will sit on your shoulder and travel around the house with you and talk. On youtube there is a clip of a budgie named Victor that had an astounding vocabulary.

People in the UK are passionate about budgies. There are forums and blogs and all kinds of sites about them.

However, most budgies just sit in their cage and cheep because they are lonely and/or their owners just don't have the time to train them.

I shouldn't blame Winston for my fatigue. Sometimes, because I don't have a dx I feel "guilty" about not doing what my peers do. So when I try to be 'normal' I overdo it. It's almost 1:30 in the afternoon and I just crawled out of bed. I did get up and get my daughter off to school but was unable to even stay at the computer for any length of time. I got up twice and finally admitted defeat.

A budgie saved my twin's life. She was driving through Quebec in a snowstorm to a new job. She was exhausted and kept dozing off at the wheel. Her budgie, who was in the front seat with her scolded and squawked to wake her up. She finally found a gas station, pulled in and accidently locked the bird in the car. At -20F she knew he was in trouble and she called the police. Of course the people at the garage didn't speak English and she didn't speak French. Anyway, long story short she did save the bird.

After that incident they were inseparable. He lived a long happy life, kept us laughing and giving her many years of companionship.

Hmmm... could be worse - I could be cleaning up after a man. (oh dear, did I say that?) joker
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a story!

Come to think of it, the budgie I "knew" did fly around and perch on people's shoulders and fingers and say "Pretty bird" or some other gems I can't remember. But I didn't ever see the relatives going to any trouble teaching him.

I guess I meant that once the teaching is done, maybe you can sit back and relax more? Or is the teaching supposed to be an ongoing process?
cricket52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if training is ongoing. Budgies have their own personalities, some are smarter than others.

I would like Winston to feel that he is part of the 'flock' so to speak, which for him means not flapping around his cage when he is approached etc.

Just as your cat sees you as part of the 'pride', Winston will, in time and with patience, join my flock. He will groom me and scold and chatter.

Or so I hope. sunny
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know my cat sees me as part of the "pride." I'm honored! She does groom me sometimes (well, I probably need it, in her opinion).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> PETS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: