Baclofen for leg cramps or spasms?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Baclofen for leg cramps or spasms? Reply with quote

Today I had a session with the neuro (I see him every 6 months), and he asked if leg cramps kept me awake at night.

I said I used to have quite a problem with them but that more exercise had cut down on the leg cramps. If I have them, they are much less severe. Earlier, they would wake me up and I couldn't get up out of bed while the pain lasted.

He said that Baclofen would be an option for me if the leg cramps/spasms got worse.

Has anyone tried Baclofen? How did you like it?
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agate,

I started it about a month ago, it helps me quite a bit. I have a lot of pain from spasms (according to the neuro it is spasms) I take 10mg twice daily, but he said I can increase it to 3x daily or even 20mg twice daily if necessary. I think I'll do the 3x daily and keep it even in my system.
Tysabri 06/07 through 09/09
On Copaxone again since 12/09 and hoping for oral meds to come out!
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up to 3x a day now, and the pain is under control most of the time.

My worst spasms are in my back and shoulders, but my arms and legs, feet and hands get them too.

I had previously cut down my work hours and quit exercising. I'm back up to my normal work hours and moderate exercise. I can't believe how much it's helping me.

For some reason I thought this med would have a lot of adverse effects on me.
Tysabri 06/07 through 09/09
On Copaxone again since 12/09 and hoping for oral meds to come out!
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really encouraging news about the Baclofen.

I'm always suspicious when starting a new medicine. It seems as if most drugs can have any side effect you could think of, if you look at the information about them!
Snoopy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have always liked about Baclofen was it is one med that helps and I never has any issues with side affects from it.

I just wish it wouldn't make my legs feel like jello - that's the main reason I don't use it much any more. In the early years I didn't have that problem with it.

I remember one year we were in the process of moving and my legs were bothering me - I jusy popped a Baclofen and kept going - now if I take it I have to be careful my legs just don't go out from under me.

I like taking it at night before bed, I sleep better and I don't feel as stiff in the morning. It also helps if I'm going to be intimate I don't have to worry about cramping up during - sorry if that was too much information toothy7
cricket52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Agate:

Sorry to be so late getting in on this one.

I had immediate relief with Baclofen - slept for the first time in four years for about 7 hours straight.

It's been almost a year and I have titrated myself up to 40-50 mg/day. Sometimes I have breakthrough pain, but I can honestly say my life improved 80%.

It does make me sleepy, not an unpleasant side effect. An hour's snooze and I am full of beans.

Finding a balance between too much and not enough isn't easy. Some people have weakness and too much Baclofen on a given day can make the weakness worse.

Leaving enough spasticity to walk is optimum. The biggest problem I now have is trying not to overdo it. I feel so good I am he!! on wheels and tend to get knocked off my feet from fatigue from trying to be my old self.

Baclofen doesn't work for everyone, but when it does, it's an incredible drug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse