Your opinion on gun control in the US?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> FIGHT CLUB - BRING IT ON!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think guns in the US are a problem that needs fixing fast?
I think everything is fine as it is. I'm in favor of having guns as available as they are now in the US.
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
I think there should be stricter gun control in the US.
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 11

agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Your opinion on gun control in the US? Reply with quote

How many people are in favor of more gun control in the US?
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt...emphatically yes. Doesn't all thes school shootings demonstrate that ?
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the latest school shooting is what prompted the poll.

Speaking of that shooting, the guy who did it was home schooled--and so nobody except his immediate family would have known him very well when he was a kid growing up.
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there needs to be stricter gun control, for sure.
Snoopy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there needs to be stricter gun control laws but I'm not so sure that will completely solve the problem with the school shootings.

I am begining to think schools need to have security measures in place beyond what they are now doing.

It's sad but schools need to have all exterior doors locked and just the main one unlocked with security screening. This may not be real practical but it is becoming necessary.
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally can't immagine why someone would need a semi-automatic weapon.
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of interesting info at this website:

"Classification of assault weapons has proven extremely difficult since there is no basic functional difference between the types of firearms targeted for these bans and many very common hunting and target-shooting firearms. Any semi-automatic firearm that accepts a detatchable magazine can discharge as rapidly as any other based on the same action. This led those who supported regulation to target the appearance of these weapons rather than their function."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_assault_weapons_ban
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns are too complicated for me to begin to understand the fine points. In my simple-minded way, I'm just against all guns.

They all kill, and they do their killing entirely too fast and accurately.

A neighbor of mine had a permit to carry a concealed weapon, and she got herself a gun. People (including me) tried to talk her out of it because the chances were very good that anybody else with a gun would be more skilful with it than she could be, in her amateur way (and she was pushing 80 years of age and had impaired vision).

I feel that this is probably true of most people who think they need a gun for self-defense. Unless they've had excellent training, they're not much good with a gun, and they're apt to do more harm than good. How many gun-owners have been maimed or killed while cleaning a gun? Quite a few. Most of us simply don't know what we're doing when it comes to guns.
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I also can't imagine owning a gun if someone is a parent with small children.

That is an interesting article, Cherie.
LoLo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
I totally can't immagine why someone would need a semi-automatic weapon.

Commute in to the city some day. geek

I agree. I'm not against handgun ownership or hunting weapons for those that indulge. But IMHO if you require a semi or fully-automatic to bring down a deer, find another hobby.
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, with the overwhelming NEGATIVE response here, you'd kinda think that congress might get the message.

Nah...they're morons. We gotta change that next month.
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you guys oughta tell that to your congressman before another tragic school shooting. It seems that this issue is all forgotten until it happens again. Sad.

It's NOT so much the sick individuals responsible as it is the mere ABILITY condoned by the ignorant NRA.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Freedom States Alliance gets people to send messages to their Congressmen on gun control. I get their regular e-mail newsletters:

Freedom States Alliance
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example of the Wild West way of thinking that seems to be so popular in the US nowadays:

Quote:

Idaho town asks residents to own guns
By Jesse Harlan Alderman, Associated Press Writer | November 16, 2006

GREENLEAF, Idaho --After seeing the chaos of Hurricane Katrina, a city councilor in this tiny Idaho town founded by pacifist Quakers came up with a novel idea.

Ordinance 208, passed by the City Council on Tuesday, asks Greenleaf's 862 residents who do not object on religious or other grounds to keep a gun at home in case they are overrun by refugees from disasters like Katrina.

"This is not an 'it'll never happen here kind of thing,'" said Steven Jett, the ordinance's sponsor. "We could get refugees."

In this town about 35 miles west of Boise near the Oregon line -- where an estimated 80 percent of the adults already own guns -- the proposal hardly caused a stir: It went through weeks of public hearings and drew only mild criticism from the pastor of the town's Quaker meeting house.

But in the six weeks since Jett first introduced the ordinance, national media have flocked to the story.

Jay Leno ribbed Greenleaf in his monologue. Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" telephoned, no doubt to exploit Idaho's reputation as wild woodland where mountain men shop for groceries with a rifle slung over a camouflage jacket.

Jett, whose father died in a hunting accident, said the ordinance is designed to enable residents to protect themselves, but it also gives the city a better platform from which to promote gun safety.

"The fact that Greenleaf supports the Second Amendment, we'll be able to keep the crime rate down," he said.

The thing is, Greenleaf doesn't really have crime. At least as most cities define it. The most violent offense reported in the past two years was a fist fight.

Still, Jett insists, the menace of high crime may be on the horizon.

Greenleaf is on the western fringe of Canyon County, a fast-growing suburb of Boise. As developers turn alfalfa rows into tract housing and hay bales into big box stores, Jett wants newcomers to know that criminals will not be "comfortable" in Greenleaf.

"We don't have a crime problem," he said. "But this area is going to grow and we're going to keep it that way."

Pastor Alan Weinacht originally opposed the ordinance because it conflicted with the Quaker teaching of nonviolence....

[Weinacht said], "I don't know. It just seems we're slipping as a society into a culture of fear."

But then Weinacht, who owns several shotguns and rifles for hunting and target shooting, discussed the law with Jett. Jett softened the language and allowed for personal or religious exemptions.

On Tuesday, Weinacht, one of four residents to attend the council meeting, announced his support. "I want to be a team player," he told the mayor and four council members.

With that, the council approved the ordinance, with Councilor Clovis Strange joking that it had become "gutless."

Mayor Brad Holton, who owns about 25 rifles, laughed at the fact that Greenleaf's gun law had put the town into the national media spotlight.

"It's been a wild ride," he said.

Idaho town asks residents to own guns, November 16, 2006
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blows my mind. The United States of Canada really is a different country from Jesusland!
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as we address this on this board there's almost a million wannabe "cowboys" (weekend warriors, if that ain't enough to scare ya) in northern Michigan wandering around in the woods (many of them drunk) stalking deers, in what is proclaimed "deer season" and many of those small towns up there financially thrive on it. Around here, November 15 (opening day) is kinda like Xmas. Unfortunately it's portrayed here as a boys passage into manhood. What a sick tradition. That sure don't make a man outta anyone (most of 'em, their parents included, are too stupid to realize that).
Man, I grew up hearing that shit all my life and it sure don't impress me...murderers.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I'm scared of many of my fellow citizens. Afraid of getting caught in the crossfire.

I get all kinds of mail-order catalogs, and every once in a while I get one from Cabela's (I don't know why because I've never ordered anything from them):

Cabela's

There's a lot of deer-hunting around here too, in WA state. You can't get away from these people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> FIGHT CLUB - BRING IT ON! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse