This new topic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> THE PRACTICAL SIDE OF BEING MULTIPLY SCLEROSED
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: This new topic Reply with quote

IMO, one of the most valuable functions an MS board can have is being a place where people can share suggestions on how to meet the everyday challenges MS confronts us with.

If you have problems getting the basic things you need, how do you solve those problems? What works? What didn't work?

Let the rest of the people here know because they might be facing similar problems.

We're talking about mobility aids, vision aids, financial downscaling, how we cook and eat, how we bathe and dress, how we relax, how we keep our dwellings accessible and hygienic, how we get from point A to point B--the whole business of the little everyday problems--even how we manage a cellphone when we're apt to drop it, can't see the display or the symbols on the buttons, can't hear the voice on the line, and can't read the instruction manual.

Well, the cellphone part is for those rich enough to afford a cellphone. Many of us do without a cellphone, and find life is simpler that way.
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agate,

If I quit working, we will at the very least cut down to one cellphone. I suppose we could survive without any, like in the old days. I never had one until about the year 2000 anyway. For the time being, work is paying for my phone but not my husband's.
Tysabri 06/07 through 09/09
On Copaxone again since 12/09 and hoping for oral meds to come out!
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to knock cellphones for everybody. I see how they fill a genuine need for a lot of people, especially with pay phones as scarce as hen's teeth now.

I just got a cellphone about six months ago, my first. I'm still struggling to get used to it.

I take it along in situations where I might get stranded and need to call for transportation. It's worth its weight in gold for that purpose.
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you get one with free long distance calling, you can avoid making those calls on your residence phone and save on toll charges. I have used mine in emergencies before, once to report a serious accident on the highway, other times to report drunk drivers in front of me.
Tysabri 06/07 through 09/09
On Copaxone again since 12/09 and hoping for oral meds to come out!
FaithS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes; we use DH's phone for all of our LD calling (when he's home), except calls to Canada, because LD rates to there, on a cell, would be high.

We also don't even pay the $7.99 per month charge to have a long distance plan on our home phone. When we need to call LD from our home phone, we use a calling card for 2 or 3 cents a minute.

DH's cell phone is on a 5-phone family plan with some extended family members, so we only pay $26.00 a month for it. With it, we get free calls to any other Verizon customers (all of his extended family, etc.), free evenings, after 7pm, and weekends, and 1000 minutes for all 5 phones. Most of us stay well under the 200 minutes per phone (peak time) that we are allotted. When my DD had her own phone, it wasn't unusual, however, for her to use 500 minutes peak time by herself, and the other 4 phones to still stay under the remaining 500 minutes. If, as a group, we went over the 1000 minutes, she'd pay the overage. (She currently is on a different plan, in Canada.)

DS and I currently have pre-pay phones. We pay only $5 per month each, and, that's enough for us.

DH has a 200-mile radius from our home that he may be driving during any day or week for work (he's a field technician that provides technical services for 50 or 60 Edward Jones Investment branches across a third of the state of Kansas), so, it's useful for him to have a phone to contact home while away, since he's not by a work phone, or for emergencies.

~ Faith
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to see advantages to cellphones. Now if I could just hear better on them...

It finally dawned on me that those minutes were piling up unused--over 900 units--and that since I have to keep paying for a minimum every month, they're going to keep piling up. So I've made a couple of long distance calls to people lately and was thrilled to find the number of units decreasing--and I have no long distance charges on my phone bill.
FaithS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally, if I'm gone and am expecting an important phone call at home, I even forward calls from my phone phone to my cell. Haven't done that very frequently, though.

~ Faith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> THE PRACTICAL SIDE OF BEING MULTIPLY SCLEROSED All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse