Cooking with MS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> THE PRACTICAL SIDE OF BEING MULTIPLY SCLEROSED
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Cooking with MS? Reply with quote

Back when I did something like real cooking, I found that some things that needed chopping or slicing could be done hours ahead of time or even the day before and kept refrigerated in sealed plastic bags: bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, celery, etc. Bananas and apples and pears--no. Berries and grapes can be fixed up well in advance (washed, etc.).

Meat for a stew (back when I ate or served meat) can be done this way unless it's ground of course, and even then you can measure out the amount you need and keep it in a separate plastic bag.

Then a lot of things are all ready to go by the time you're assembling the thing. Cheese cubes or slices can also be ready in advance.

I would make a recipe for 6-12 servings and eat one of the servings that day and freeze all the rest in individual plastic containers. They maintain their quality for 2 months usually.

I made bread using recipes for two or three loaves, sliced and froze most of it, and it lasted for a couple of months.

Each of these projects would take pretty much the whole day, and so I planned my time so I didn't have much else to do that day. If it was going to be hot, I postponed the job or arranged for fans to be strategically located so I could frequent cool-down periods.

I'd rest in my wheelchair every chance I got, and sometimes I moved a job out to the living room on a rolling table so I could do it in my wheelchair, which didn't fit well in the kitchen.

I'd bring my cutting board and knife and assorted vegetables or fruits that I needed to work on and sit there and work on them, with a baggie for the peelings and seeds and other waste.

Just sitting down for as much of it as I could helped a lot.

The trick is to have enough energy left over after the cooking is done so you can do the clean-up.

Sometimes I was tempted to shove all the dirty dishes into the stove or refrigerator and let them wait until the next day but the place I lived in was inclined to have pests--so I didn't do that but some people might want to take the chance.

Others would get an automatic dishwasher but that wasn't a possibility.

Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 2007-2010.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> THE PRACTICAL SIDE OF BEING MULTIPLY SCLEROSED All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse