Medical device excise tax

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Medical device excise tax Reply with quote

As of January 1 of this year, medical devices sold in the US will have a 2.3% medical device excise tax added on.

It looks to me as if it's the manufacturers who are being taxed. The manufacturers of many medical devices have been making huge profits, I believe. Why not tax them?

For years I've been deluged with promotional material for scooters and power chairs. These salespeople promise me that I'm eligible through Medicare and "all" they need from me is my doctor's name and phone number so they can "just" call and set the whole thing up, and I'll be breezing around in my power chair in the twinkling of an eye.

I'm probably not eligible under Medicare, and I know it.I've already received a manual wheelchair through Medicare, and the rule is "one chair per person per lifetime." Or it was when I last checked.--Unless there is clear evidence that the person's condition has deteriorated to the point of being virtually bedbound.

These salespeople are planning to twist the facts a bit and persuade the doctor to go along with the idea. I really want no part of it. But the colossal effort going into promoting some medical devices says something to me about how very hard they're trying to sell this stuff--which is pricey.

...And there are some exemptions to the medical device excise tax:

Quote:

Q15. Are there any exemptions to the medical device excise tax?

A15. Yes. There are specific statutory exemptions for eyeglasses, contact lenses, and hearing aids. There is also an exemption for other devices that are of a type that are generally purchased by the general public at retail for individual use (the retail exemption).

For more about this new tax, see here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> GENERAL All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse