(Abstract) Extensive remyelination in some MS patients

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: (Abstract) Extensive remyelination in some MS patients Reply with quote

From PubMed:

Quote:

Brain
. 2006 Aug 18

Remyelination is extensive in a subset of multiple sclerosis patients

Patrikios P, Stadelmann C, Kutzelnigg A, Rauschka H, Schmidbauer M, Laursen H, Sorensen PS, Bruck W, Lucchinetti C, Lassmann H.
Center for Brain Research, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria.

Although spontaneous remyelination does occur in multiple sclerosis lesions, its extent within the global population with this disease is presently unknown.

We have systematically analysed the incidence and distribution of completely remyelinated lesions (so-called shadow plaques) or partially remyelinated lesions (shadow plaque areas) in 51 autopsies of patients with different clinical courses and disease durations.

The extent of remyelination was variable between cases. In 20% of the patients, the extent of remyelination was extensive with 60-96% of the global lesion area remyelinated.

Extensive remyelination was found not only in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis, but also in a subset of patients with progressive disease.

Older age at death and longer disease duration were associated with significantly more remyelinated lesions or lesion areas. No correlation was found between the extent of remyelination and either gender or age at disease onset.

These results suggest that the variable and patient-dependent extent of remyelination must be considered in the design of future clinical trials aimed at promoting CNS repair.

lady_express_44

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL . . . "Spontaneous remyelination". Doesn't sound any more like a medical term then "transient lesions", eh Agate?

(Do you remember that conversation?)
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the transient/transitory discussion that went on at MSWorld a while ago? I don't recall much about it except that it existed.

"Spontaneous remyelination" sounds medical to me, though it's not a phrase I've heard before. I didn't know remyelination happened with MS, and if it does, it sounds like something I hope I have happening--spontaneously or un icon_biggrin spontaneously.
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the conversation I am referring to Agate.

I'm going on memory here . . . but I think we were discussing what constitutes "disease progression", i.e. increase in EDSS score, more lesions, etc. I had made reference to the "transient" lesions (ones that come and go, leaving no trace of their prior existance).

There was then a big uproar, initially on whether on whether there was such a thing as lesions that came and went . . . then on whether I used the right medical term to describe it.

I probably didn't (I was just using words to describe the process), but the message was the same.

"Spontaneous remyelination" . . . cool. geek

Cherie
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try googling "oligodendrocytes". Those are the cells responsible for myelination in the CNS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse