(Article) Justice for unfairly dismissed woman with MS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: (Article) Justice for unfairly dismissed woman with MS Reply with quote

From the MS Society (UK), August 14, 2006:

Quote:

Justice for unfairly dismissed woman with MS

14 Aug 2006

A Bradford woman has won a tribunal case against her employer after being unfairly dismissed due to memory lapses and fatigue caused by multiple sclerosis.

Yorkshire-based mother Syria Akram, aged 30, has won a tribunal case against Calderdale Council after losing her job due to gross misconduct as a result of being accused of time-keeping discrepancies.

The tribunal accepted that the discrepancies were as a result of fatigue, poor memory, the effects of her disability and the drug regime. The judgement criticises Calderdale Council for its dismissal process, including failing to properly investigate Mrs Akram's explanations and for not taking notes at a key meeting,

Mrs Akram was diagnosed with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis in 2005, and was dismissed just five months later, after three years of service as a community safety officer. She has been unable to work since being dismissed, and has has spent £4000 fighting the case. A hearing, to be held at a later date, will determine the level of compensation she will be entitled to receive, which could be up to £20,000.

lady_express_44

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it seem fair that they have to reinstate her disability coverage (if she had LTD available with her employment) rather then a $ settlement?

That's what I would have fought for (if it was benefit she was entitled to...).

Cherie
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe she didn't have any LTD. It seems it was a part-time job:

Quote:

Multiple sclerosis sufferer sacked unfairly

Job-bias case win after council 'ruined' family

Andrew Robinson

A multiple sclerosis sufferer in Yorkshire was unfairly sacked by her council employers after she developed the disease, a tribunal has ruled.

Syria Akram, 30, is celebrating after winning a case for unfair dismissal and disability discrimination against Calderdale Council.
The community safety officer worked for the Halifax local authority for three years, but was sacked five months after she was diagnosed with MS.

"I am disgusted by the way I was treated," Mrs Akram said. "The council of all people should know better. They found out I had MS and booted me out.
"They couldn't handle the fact I had a disability of that sort. I don't think they understood the condition. I am disabled but there is nothing wrong with my mind."

The mother of one, from Barkerend,Bradford, was stunned to be sacked last September for gross misconduct after discrepancies were found in her time sheet.

The MS left her tired and forgetful and she would sometimes forget to sign in when she got to the office. But despite her explanation and proof she had been in work she was sacked.

"They knew there was a problem six months before but nobody pointed it out or something could have been done about it," she said. "Instead they just let me make mistakes without correcting me, then suddenly called a meeting and sacked me."

The tribunal criticised her employers for the way they dealt with her and ruled that memory lapses caused by her condition had led to the discrepancies.

Their written judgment said: "We accept the claimant's inaccuracies in time-keeping were a direct result of the fatigue which is a common factor of MS.

"Secondly, that the claimant was having to cope with the effect of the disability and the associated drug regime, and thirdly that she suffered from poor memory."

The panel criticised the council's poor processes, including failing to take notes at a key meeting and failure to investigate Mrs Akram's explanation.

Mrs Akram spent £4,000 fighting the case and has not been able to find work since she was sacked from her £11,500 a year part-time job."Work was my life and they have taken that away from me," she said. "This has affected my whole family – they have ruined us. I couldn't afford to keep my son in nursery and we've had to beg and borrow money.

"I was determined to fight but it has been a real struggle. I hope anybody else who has been discriminated against has the strength to fight because this shows there's justice out there."

Since her dismissal she has had two relapses in her condition, which left her unable to walk.

Mrs Akram has demanded an apology from the council.
She said: "They called me a cheat and a liar but I am an honest person and have never cheated on anything. I don't know how they can do that after I gave them three years' excellent service."

A future hearing will decide what compensation she receives but it could be up to £20,000.

A spokesman for Calderdale Council said it had received the tribunal's findings and would be studying them before deciding what action to take.
andrew.robinson@ypn.co.uk
14 August 2006

from Yorkshire Post Today (August 14, 2006)

It looks as if her employer was trying to dump her before she got more expensive and started wanting special accommodations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse