HUSBANDS AND WIVES (1992)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: HUSBANDS AND WIVES (1992) Reply with quote

I’ve seen funnier Woody Allen movies but this one was entertaining. While being amusing, it may also be giving a picture of modern (1992) marriage in the US, a picture that is pretty bleak in some ways. People with too much time and energy seem to see problems in their relationships and seem to have to talk about them at considerable length–to one another, to their friends, to their analysts. Most of the people in this movie are in this talky category, and their talkiness is their problem.

The movie opens with one couple announcing to their friends, another couple, that they’re splitting up. By the movie’s end there have been quite a few pairings off, and the inanity of some of the social pretenses is becoming painfully obvious.

Mia Farrow and Woody Allen seem flawless in their roles. I wasn’t so happy with Juliette Lewis as the young student, Rain, though the problem may not be so much with her acting as with the lines she had to say.

Similarly, Liam Neeson often seems wrong for his part, but his lines often seem a bit wooden. Or maybe he isn’t delivering them well.

These two roles, as well as that of Sally, and all of them are fairly important in the story, kept troubling me. I kept thinking, “That person wouldn’t say that–not in that tone, anyway.”

I hardly ever look at the credits but this time I was glancing at them. Assorted celebrities–Nora Ephron, Bruce Jay Friedman and others–are listed as appearing in cameo roles. Maybe this was done to add box-office appeal. In any event, no harm seems to have been done by their presence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MOVIES All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse