(Article) Questions to ask a new MS doctor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: (Article) Questions to ask a new MS doctor Reply with quote

This article has some good advice, I think:

Quote:

Questions to Ask a New Doctor

Article Date: 10/15/2004

Because your doctor will be your health care partner, and a part of your life for many years to come, it is crucial that you find a physician with whom you are able to express your concerns, communicate your needs and ask questions.

Questions To Ask a New Doctor

Are you board-certified in the specialty of neurology? If not, why not? Board certification is important, particularly in a specialty, because the certification requires that the physician stay current in his/her field of medicine.

How many MS patients do you see in a year?

Obviously, the more patients the physician sees, the more experienced they are with the disease.

How well do your patients respond to treatment?

Doctors who have been consistent in keeping current with their training tend to use more innovative techniques and newer approaches that achieve better results.

Do you participate in neurology research, particularly multiple sclerosis?
Research physicians are usually aware of the most current and upcoming medications available for treating this disease.

Where do you have hospital admitting privileges?

You want to be certain that your doctor can treat you in the hospital of your choice.

How do you gauge the necessity of diagnostic testing to avoid too frequent, overlapping or unnecessary testing?
You don't want to increase your health care bills because of a physician’s need to test too often and unnecessarily.

A good answer is that the tests ordered are necessary according to standard protocols for treating that condition, or there is no other procedure that will give the necessary information.

What is your plan for treating my condition?

Physicians who have treated a number of MS patients will have some type of protocol or systematic approach to treatment, with expected outcomes.

How do you determine what drug to use in treating my condition?
Although there are specific drugs to treat MS, there may be issues concerning your individual health situation that have to be taken into consideration, and other drugs may have to be used.

Do you give free samples of drugs and supplies?

Sometimes you can reduce your health care costs by asking this question.

Do you offer classes for your patients so that they can learn from each other? Some physicians lead educational support groups for patients of like diseases. If not, ask if they can refer you to other groups.

Will you take the time to explain my condition and answer my questions?

It is best to write down your questions prior to an office visit, so that you are not wasting your doctor’s time by trying to think of questions to ask.
Once you decide on a physician, it is important to become an active partner in your own care. Even if your doctor is a gifted healer, he/she cannot make you well or keep you healthy without your cooperation.

A crucial step in being a partner with your doctor is to become an expert on your own health.

Reviewed August 16, 2005 by V. J. Smith, RN, BSN, MA.

From [i]MS Neighborhood Newsletter[i], August 1, 2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse