Shelly Peterman Schwarz, Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Shelly Peterman Schwarz, Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips... Reply with quote

This second edition of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier (Demos, 2006) came to me as a freebie from Shared Solutions as a bonus for taking part in a survey. It was first published in 1999.

The current paperback edition has 114 pages, including an adequate index, and seems well organized and thought out.

It has a Preface by the Vice President of the Professional Resource Center of the National MS Society.

The 300 tips are organized under seven general categories, and whenever a product that may not be generally available is mentioned, the author provides a symbol directing the reader to the end of the section, where companies selling the product are listed.

This is helpful, I think, though I do tend to object to books and periodicals that focus on trying to sell products. Many magazines consist primarily of advertisements, for instance.

But in this book I think the author is doing her readers a favor by providing names, addresses, phone numbers and Websites for specialized products.

My one objection is the same as my objection to much of what the MS Society puts out--you get the impression that most people with MS are fairly well heeled. In fact, you might even go on to think that maybe you can't afford to have MS--when you read about how people with MS have rebuilt their houses, installed raised garden beds in their yard, and got themselves new lift-equiped vehicles.

Shelly Peterman Schwarz seems to assume that "everyone" has a car and a garage, owns a dishwasher, has a house and yard, and can afford to travel. Once or twice she mentions taking a bus but it's rare.

And in the hospital can "everyone" afford a private room? She advises us to hang a "Do Not Disturb" sign on our hospital room door so we can get more rest.
You can't do that if you're in a room with roommates.

Maybe I'm being too harsh here. She's clearly writing from her own experience, and this is what she knows. She's done a good job on this book, as far as it goes, in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> BOOKS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse