Temporary change in who sees what

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Temporary change in who sees what Reply with quote

Somebody on another board has expressed an interest in seeing more of this board before deciding whether to register. I agreed to try this out temporarily. If it works OK and nobody minds, we can think about keeping it this way.

As of now, these forums are available for anyone to look at but not post or reply unless registered:

Forum Announcements
MS research, etc.
MS - practical
MS - Webcasts, etc.
Deportment
Books
News
General

And these forums are still accessible only to those who are registered here:

Birthdays
Photos
Fight Club
Music
Movies
Pets
Gardening

I'd welcome any input about this. I thought of keeping it this way for a couple of weeks.
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea Agate. You put a lot of work into compiling the research here so you might get more readers. A lot of people like to use websites for a resource but not necessarily register right away. Also, some people might be more likely to register if they can read some of the information first. That's my two cents worth. :-)
Tysabri 06/07 through 09/09
On Copaxone again since 12/09 and hoping for oral meds to come out!
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewizabeth, I agreed with you completely and have kept the board open for quite a while now.

Unfortunately the number of bogus registrations has grown by leaps and bounds. There are now about a dozen of them a day. Getting rid of them is time-consuming. The phpBB administration doesn't have a fix for this problem.

So I've gone back to limiting the views of the board's posts to registered users. If that doesn't cut down on the bogus registrations, I'll open up the board again.
Evergreen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh...

for once I'm on the inside lookin out !
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good way to look at this place. It's so special that not just anyone can barge in!

Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 2007-2010.

cricket52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol evergreen.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far closing the board to nonregistrants hasn't made any difference in the number of bogus "people" who try to register each day.

I've reopened the board.

And if anyone here can come up with ways of attracting a few more people here, that would be good.
Evergreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agate wrote:
And if anyone here can come up with ways of attracting a few more people here, that would be good.

You know...I keep thinking about this comment of yours.

One could place a link to this site in their profile at other sites and casually mention it from time to time.

But really...I think controversy drives a lot of message board web traffic.

Yuh want me to start some trouble ? I'm feelin kinda cranky lately.

Perhaps a battle royal would drive up the stats !

Oh, Oh...maybe I could reveal some shocking secrets !

yah, I'm working on it...I'm working on it...

let me know salute
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this board started up, there were major squabbles here. You can read old posts if you want to know about them though some people deleted their posts.

The whole time was so destructive and troubled that I wouldn't want to bring on another storm even though the board might gain members. You're right--people do tend to gravitate to controversies.

I like the peaceful atmosphere myself but if trouble starts up, I'll deal with it as I have in the past. I don't want to delete posts or ban people. I'd prefer to persuade them to change their ways or leave, of their own free will. In fact, I've said in the past that I'll never ban anyone or delete their posts. A couple of people who were here stirring up trouble had their registrations "deactivated," however.

But we haven't had any such people here in ages.

Mr. Soul AKA Mr. Natural used to be good at posting controversial topics. He hasn't been around in a while. The "Fight Club" section was his idea. Good place for any topics that might be controversial. It's still there for anyone who wants to post there.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evergreen wrote:

Quote:
One could place a link to this site in their profile at other sites and casually mention it from time to time.

Believe it or not, I've been doing this for years. Every once in a while, someone happens along.

Casually mentioning it in posts on another board is apt to bring on trouble. Many boards have strict rules against discussing anything going on on another board.
Evergreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I totally missed the early days here and had only gathered from skimming around the place that it was more active in its heyday.

I could see that there have been some departures and even some "blanked" usernames at which I can sometimes guess.

I did not know that the site was yours until long after I had signed up. Geeze, I recall when you arrived at MGH as "Agate" and had a couple run-ins with the "old guard" there !

That place sure has fallen on hard times; remember when they generated 2-3 pages of topics every day ? And new posters were quickly answered by a range of often very knowledgeable individuals.

Oh the glory days of MS on the net may be behind us...

now, who can I start something with ?
Hey, i just realized you didn't say anything about the "shocking secrets" I might reveal to drive traffic...ok...working on that angle.

I've never been banned from an internet site but I could "take one for the team" !

something like..."oh yeah...if you think you've got something to say to me...try sayin it at MSSPEAKS" !

agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were at the MGH board when I arrived? In the fall of 2001? I don't recall anyone with your user name but it was a large board back then, and maybe you didn't post much.

Yes, I really waded into it there right off the bat, didn't I?

I should have known better than to question the way things were being done on a message board that had been getting along quite nicely for a long time before I turned up.

Not sure what you mean by "blanked" user names. Some people asked to have their registration cancelled, and some changed their user names. The cancelled ones often turn up as "Guests" here.

Or maybe you mean all of the bogus registrations? You might sometimes see a new registered user at the bottom of the page, and shortly afterwards that name disappears. I bounce them out of here just as soon as I see them and figure out they're not legitimate.

Shocking secrets about what??? They need to be true, verifiable shocking secrets, of course....
Evergreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been at "MGH" as a lurker and sometimes poster since 2000. I used to answer posts with factual statements, always including a link, when I felt that the information presented in some way had missed the mark. I posted less than 500 times over the years with the username RandomThought. I had even peeked in at the board in 1998/1999...boy it was an unmoderated zoo back then.

I remember when argumentative trolls were allowed to over-run and dominate the depression forum and JL eventually had to shut it down. The refugees fled to "EZ Board" and the instigators followed them.

I was very troubled that JL would allow the ravaging of a Mental Health Forum in the name of Freedom of Speech. Back in those days he promised he would never have moderators.

The MGH forums have often been sustained by arguing over various events and hot button topics.

Terry Shiavo
Terrorist and 911
President Bush (senior)
Mercury Toxicity
Vaccinations and autism
Bee Venom
Valtrex
LDN
President Bush (junior)

I kept my mouth shut throughout all the arguments except one...swine flu vaccinations !

I recall so much more like OffTopic posts and Undiagnosed posters. Oh, I've seen it all; the battles, the friendships, the heartwarming support, the charlatans, the crashes, the bannings.

Remember that one time when Grassman suggested that another frequent poster had "baby ms" ? Hoo boy !

By "blanked usernames" I meant those whose names had reverted to "Guest" and no longer presented the username they had originally selected.

Oh its been a good run. Now about those shocking secrets...
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Grassman's "baby MS" remark too--the person he was referring to is someone I came to "know" (in cyberspace, not in person) better as time went on though I haven't heard from her in several months now.

She's quite a nice person and used to be a major presence at the MGH board.

So people left the Depression forum in droves and went to EZBoard? That happened at the MS board once too as you probably recall--one very frequent poster set up an EZBoard forum, and a bunch of people flocked over there for a while. Eventually the owner shut it down but for a while I was registered there but just lurking.

Shortly after I joined the MS board, I actually went back and read a bit in the archives, back when it had a very different look. I agree--it must have been wild then.
Evergreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not that posters "left" the depression forums in droves... the forum was deleted in its entirety. Many users were cast out in a great purge and those poor whimpering souls who remained had no venue. A new location sheltered a few at EZboard and it seems that at least a couple years passed before JL created a new forum for sufferers of Depression.

There was no depression forum on MGH.

It was after this the first moderators appeared.

-----------

Hey ! while my brain cells are firing...it seems to me that your original login was your actual name and members encouraged you to create a more anonymous name, like "Agate".

Oh the memories.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible I was dumb enough to use my real name though I thought that by the time I joined that board I knew better. I'd never been on any other MS board at that time but had been on a couple of book discussion boards.

I do remember that a couple of people did use their real names though.

I didn't pay much attention to the other boards and so what you said about the Depression forum was news to me. Sometimes I posted in Forum Feedback and put in a bit of time on the Spinal Disorders and the Aneurysm forums but otherwise had no idea what was going on on the other forums.
Evergreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I don't see what's the big deal about usernames on the internet. I am listed in the phone book with my real life name, phone number and address !

As of yet no unseen evil has sought me out and come a knockin on my door. Maybe I've been lucky.

There was a former MGH poster who from time to time would post cryptic warnings about dark forces lurking on the forum...later she was amongst a group who left to make their internet home elsewhere.

At least that is what I think happened to her...

hmmm, sorta reminds me of Steven King
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the main problem with disclosing personal information like your own name or e-mail address on a message board is that there are programs that troll message boards for such information, and you'll find yourself getting even more spam than you might usually get.

Or some malware might be able to attach itself to your computer more easily if that information is "out there."

And some people really want to avoid having some of their relatives, ex-spouses, or employers see their posts on message boards.
Evergreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I should pay the fee to become "unlisted" and see how the other half lives?
scratch
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agate wrote:
I think that the main problem with disclosing personal information like your own name or e-mail address on a message board is that there are programs that troll message boards for such information, and you'll find yourself getting even more spam than you might usually get.

Hi Guys ... long time, no chat. I am reading this forum still, but since I don't need to sign in to see most of it, I don't. geek

I had a stalker for a while, that didn't like the "messages" I was posting on some forums. I was glad I wasn't posting my personal information, and really didn't trust that person, or the people they were connected to.

It probably depends on if you are a person to go against the grain when posting. I know I stirred up a lot of controversy on a few forums, especially with my opinions on Tysabri, and my endorsement of LDN ... both controversial subjects at one time.

I remember that comment of Mike's. He loved that memory and talked about it the last time I saw him, only about a week before he passed. It was one of his proudest moments. geek

Braintalk and Neurotalk are sure quiet now, eh? Where's Abby these days ... anyone know?

Cherie
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person can try and try to be uncontroversial and still tick people off. That's especially true on larger boards. There are people who are easily ticked off and they feel an overwhelming need to express their irritation, I guess.

I don't know what happened to Abby at BT. She just disappeared. I've been wondering too--though I don't post there any more.

Her name isn't on the list of members any more.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came close to sending you a message asking if you were OK, Cherie.

If you wouldn't mind talking about it, I'd like to know how this stalker operated. Did the person keep track of your posts and reply by opposing what you'd said? Or did it take the form of PMs attacking you? Or--?

Other people have talked of stalkers from time to time, but I never knew just how stalking was done.

It must have been really annoying.
Evergreen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I don't "know" where Abby has gone however her account at BrainTalk is...

"SUSPENDED"

http://braintalkcommunities.org/forums/member.php?u=252

as you can see if you view her profile. You also might note that she still logs on to view braintalk ...not that I'm stalking her
or anything

I think moderators became frustrated with a series of posts skirting their boundaries and perceived an attempt to perform an "end run" around the rules by putting the matter up for a public vote.

Other members were also around that time "suspended" two of which I am aware of have had their previous member status restored.

One of these persons was able to post while suspended and I suspect that Abby could post if she were to choose to do so. If she did post it would show her as SUSPENDED which a person might find humiliating.

edit to add:

OH....I just searched the members list and also could not find "Abby2006" which is odd since she still has a "profile" which tracks her movements on the server.

Maybe she can't post and exists in a weird sort of internet limbo like I saw on the twilight zone once ?

So as you can see...I don't really know anything but I knew something about some stuff somewhere at some other time and place...

and junk
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting. It looks as if she went too far in some way.

"Suspended" isn't the same as "banned," of course. A couple of times it's been really weird to find some user name with "banned" under it.

I picture somebody driven permanently away by a mob hurling epithets--or rocks. Then gates to the city are ceremoniously locked with enormous iron padlocks.
Evergreen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agate wrote:
I picture somebody driven permanently away by a mob hurling epithets--or rocks. Then gates to the city are ceremoniously locked with enormous iron padlocks.

You picture...?

Isn't this how you do it here ?

and if so...could I be: "peasant carrying pitchfork" during the mob scene?

::bated breath::
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, and I'll be the person wielding the branding iron so the banned people's foreheads will have an indelible inscription: BANNED.

That's an eye-catching avatar there!
Evergreen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks,

I can't imagine you'll ever regret letting me carry the pitchfork. I mean, I drop things sometimes... but those farm implements are nearly unbreakable !

Yeah, I don't think I could brand someone so I'll be glad to let that remain in your capable hands.

So...who we gunna start with ?

maybe ban someone who never posts here...just for practice ? lemme git mah pitchfork...brb
Evergreen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Back

let the bannings begin!!!!!

(my wife's here too...hope that's ok?)

agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing2

Glad you brought the pitchfork. Wife looks OK too.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Input needed Reply with quote

I've been bouncing back and forth, opening up some sections of the board to everyone, then limiting some sections to registered members only.

It may not be such a good idea to have every forum open to everyone.

Which forums would YOU like to see open only to registered members?

These are the forums. Each one can be either open to all OR open only to registered members. I'll abide by whatever the majority wants.

FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS
MS--RESEARCH...
MS--THE PRACTICAL SIDE
MS--WEBCASTS, TELECONFERENCES, SEMINARS
DEPORTMENT DEPARTMENT
BIRTHDAYS
BOOKS
GAMES & SPORTS
GARDENING & PLANTS
MOVIES
MUSIC
THE NEWS
PETS
GENERAL
FIGHT CLUB
OUR PHOTOS

My inclination would be to limit these to registered members:

FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS
DEPORTMENT DEPARTMENT
BIRTHDAYS
FIGHT CLUB
OUR PHOTOS

But a strong case can be made for limiting most of the others too. Maybe keep only the MS--RESEARCH forum open?
Evergreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cast my vote, for the great state of confusion, to make (at least) the Birthdays and Photos forums members only.

1.Stalkers want our vital statistics and B. I feel more open about sharing photos when I believe the audience is somewhat limited.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one else has voted, I'm going ahead and turning Birthdays and Photos into "members only" forums.

If others come along with other ideas, I'll try to accommodate them too.
Evergreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Thank You,

we in the state of confusion are kinda shy (even though you might not notice).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse