Musicians?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzalta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Musicians? Reply with quote

I'm new here and am wondering how many of you folks are musicians. I play the guitar and keyboards, but rarely play gigs anymore. Just wondering.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play piano, cello, and recorder (alto and sopranino mainly). Played cello in high school orchestra. Played organ in a church when I was about 12 (the church was desperate for an organist!). That's the extent of my "professional" musicianship, except for singing in choruses and choirs.
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a NOVICE guitarist, but I really enjoy music (my ma's side of the family were all musicians, my grandfather used to be a luthier, a fancy name for a guy who used to repair stringed instruments). They played together, mostly ethnic music, one of my uncles on guitar (along with my grandfather), one on violin, and my ma and her sister, singing. I like most types of music but I can't really get into this hip-hop shit (NOT music at all, the way I see it) or even much of this "new" country (although I LIKE some of the old stuff...Waylon & Willie, Hank Jr .... My FAVORITE artists are the Beatles (of course), Eagles and Neil Young (with and without CS&N). I peretty much let my mood determine what I play. As my screen name implies (and growing up in Motown [as did Glenn Frey of the Eagles), I love soul music (so my dislike of that hip-hop shit is NOT a racial thing at all).
Over the years I've enjoyed much of the (previous) Motor city's legends...Bob Seger, Ted Nugent, MC5, the Romantics, even Kiss and J. Geils (our adopted transplants). I love music. I have over 7,000 songs.
I guess along with Motown I'm a rocker at heart.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be acoustic guitar or electric that you play, Dave? Or both?
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of each although I prefer acoustic. My youngest sons are LEAD players, I pretty much stick to chords. They're pretty good (which pretty much drove me into it, even though as I previously said, I come from a musical heritage and have ALWAYS enjoyed music. That day in February, 1964 when the Beatles performed on Ed Sullivan, really influenced me.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your musical background is impressive.

My son played lead guitar in a couple of bands (rock, mainly) but hasn't been playing in the last couple of years.

Have you ever tried a 12-string? I somehow got the a notion that the 12-string helped the Beatles to sound unique.
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agate wrote:
Your musical background is impressive.

My son played lead guitar in a couple of bands (rock, mainly) but hasn't been playing in the last couple of years.

Have you ever tried a 12-string? I somehow got the a notion that the 12-string helped the Beatles to sound unique.

I had a 12 string for awhile but got rid of it (tuning it, as I'm sure other players here will attest to) IS a bitch. They DO sound great though. I don't think the Beatles used 'em that much, they were just a very unique band. Not really a "dance" band. That wasn't their objective they outgrew that around Rubber Soul (a great LP by the way). It was that Rickenbacker and Harrison's Gretsch, and they really got their point across. Acoutically, they used Epiphones (back when they were made by Gibson). They WEREN'T the greatest musicians, but I compare their songwriting to Mozart and Beethoven. No one will EVER rival them (although Oasis comes close).

If your son's a musician, he oughta appreciate that. I'm proud to having "grown up" with them. I know it sounds corny, but, their music changed my life.
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a listen to Oasis' All Around The World from Be Here Now (a short excerpt of which can be heard in an AT&T commercial). The whole song, blows my mind. That's Beatles' music.
FaithS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play piano. I just posted a new thread in this forum regarding my eclectic tastes.

~ Faith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MUSIC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse