Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd dead at 60

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd dead at 60 Reply with quote

From the Detroit Free Press, July 12, 2006:
Quote:

Deaths Elsewhere: Pink Floyd cofounder Syd Barrett dies at 60

July 12, 2006

LONDON -- Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett, a founding member of the British rock band Pink Floyd, died of symptoms related to diabetes, the band said Tuesday.

Barrett, 60, died July 7 at his home in Cambridgeshire, England.

"Syd was the guiding light of the early band lineup and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire," the surviving members of Pink Floyd -- David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright -- said.

Barrett cofounded Pink Floyd in 1965 with Waters, Mason and Wright, and wrote many of its early songs. The 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" -- largely written by Barrett, who also played guitar -- was a hit.

He left the group in 1968, prompted by a well-publicized breakdown triggered by his apparent use of LSD. His departure came just before the band achieved worldwide success, and five years before the release of Pink Floyd's most popular album, "Dark Side of the Moon."

He later released two solo albums "The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett" and retreated to his late mother's home where he lived as a recluse until his death, indulging his passion for painting and gardening. He was a familiar figure to neighbors, often seen cycling or walking to the corner store, but rarely spoke to fans and journalists who sought him out.

Barrett is believed to have named the band after blues musicians Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. His record collection was found to include music by the two blues artists.

[/i]
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sad thing, indeed. I'm still a Floyd fan, and liked a lot of ghis old stuff. "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like...
LoLo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw that. he had a very troubled life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MUSIC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse