SPEEDBUMPS by Teri Garr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: SPEEDBUMPS by Teri Garr Reply with quote

I'm reading Speedbumps: Flooring It through Hollywood by Teri Garr, who has MS. Has anyone read this?

Last edited by agate on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't, but I've heard not so good reviews on the book. From what I've heard, she downplays the MS part of her life, and it's more a autobiography of her life in show business.

I think the next book she comes out with (if she does) will probably be more interesting . . . at least from a MS perspective. I doubt she is representing whatever CRAB is was any more now, and there isn't such a concern about her show-biz reputation.

Cherie
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about halfway through the book now, and so far she's said hardly a word about the MS--but then it hasn't yet been diagnosed at this point in her story.

I misspelled her name. It should be Teri Garr, not Terri Garr. She tells about going to a numerologist who advised her not to have two double letters in her name.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've come to the end of the book, I don't think it will win any prizes as great literature but for someone interested in how one person responded to MS, it has its good moments.

Apparently a couple of Teri Garr's "friends" decided she had MS before any doctor had diagnosed it--and spread the word around. She feels that this gossip hurt her career as an actress, and when she actually was diagnosed, she found that that career was in serious danger of ending simply because nobody seemed to want to hire her once the MS was known.

I'm not surprised that she seems a bit too relentlessly upbeat for some people's tastes. She appears determined to spread sunshine around about how well a person can do in spite of MS, as she herself has been trying to do.

But the book has its funny moments, and maybe Teri Garr just IS an upbeat, cheerful personality. I often get irritated by celebrities' books, but I came away from this one liking Teri Garr and wishing I'd paid more attention to her in the movies she was in.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Recent interview with Teri Garr Reply with quote

An online periodical, Everyday Health - Healthy Living, June 2, 2009, contains this interview with Teri Garr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> BOOKS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse