It's that time of year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: It's that time of year Reply with quote

...when people start their gardens up again.

I have two long rectangular planters that I'd hoped to fill with 12 impatiens plants, which I mail-ordered. They arrived in bad shape, but I think I've rescued about 6 of them though they're not growing very fast yet.

Five begonias of the eight that I stored for the winter have pulled through, and most are out on the balcony already. One is still indoors, and that's because this dimwit planted it UPSIDE DOWN when starting it out in a smaller pot a few months ago.

When I pulled it out of its pot to see why it hadn't sprouted yet, I discovered the sprouts on the side where the roots should have been. They were white tube-like growths that were flattened out against the tuber. So I planted it again, right side up, and now (a couple of weeks later) it's developing into a regular begonia and even showing signs of straightening itself up.

I moved the Streptocarpus (Cape Primrose) and the geranium out to the balcony a while ago, after they'd spent the winter indoors.

The hosta that somebody gave me last summer has come up already and is showing signs of settling in happily.

The grape hyacinths have finished blooming, and I'm in the process of dividing them up.

That's what's been going on here. What about your gardening projects?
cricket52

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha - at least you planted your begonia. I wouldn't have a clue which side was up. That was a good chuckle.

Gardening has never been an interest of mine, nor did I enjoy it when I had houses. I do, however, love violets and have a number of minature ones. They keep reproducing all by themselves. I recently learned that all one has to do is pluck a leaf and plant it. That's probably why I have several more than I started with, a healthy leaf dropped into the soil and grew.

Your garden sounds like it is getting lots of TLC and should give you much pleasure. Happy planting and tending. sunny
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would those be African violets?

I love them! I have one left now, but I did have several going for years. Even in north-facing windows with very little light, they bloomed most of the year.
cricket52

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am selling carnations for the MS Society today and tomorrow and got my pick of the carnation plants. They sell fast. I had never seen a carnation plant before and had no idea they are perennials.

What a fun volunteer job.
debc

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what a carnation plant looks like either! I only see them as boutonnières. That's cool that you get one!

I bought seeds today, weeded the flower bed out front and the brick patio out back yesterday. And DS turned over the veggie area for me. Now, I just have to get off my butt and plant!!

I think Madeleine and I will do that together today after it cools off.

Agate that is SO funny about the plant growing upside down!!!

Happy gardening!

Deb
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cricket, how did the carnation sale go?

I think of carnations as overgrown pinks, or super-pinks. They're both Dianthus, I think. Pinks are really lovely plants, and so are carnations.
cricket52

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Agate:

It was so much fun! Selling flowers is not stressful and people want to buy.

I don't have my digital camera anymore or I would have taken a picture. There were dozens of colours of cut carnations and white, pink, yellow, deep purple, red, light purple and varigated. The plants (2 for $10) sold quickly. I didn't know carnation plants were perennials and that they would grow in cooler areas.

We were at the main mall and had to evacuate because of a bomb scare. The poor volunteer on duty panicked, took her apron and float home, so when I arrived (obvilious to the situation) the mall had re-opened and security was guarding our flowers which had been piled in a bunch in a hurry. People were helping themselves. No float. Fortunately my bank machine was 20 feet from where we were.

Of course I came home with some cut peach/white ones and a pot of fushia coloured buds and blooms. bounce

It's so nice to be able to do volunteer work that isn't too stressful. I will be working the MS bingo this week which is also fun but a bit tiring.

My violets are not blooming quite as much, we haven't had a lot of sun. Time to give them their vitamins and repot them I think.

Thanks for asking Agate.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it sounds as if you were selling plants--not just individual blossoms for people to wear in their lapels! That must have been fun.

It's been a while since I've been close to a carnation. I can't remember if carnations are as fragrant as pinks are, but I distinctly recall pinks having the scent of cloves. It was an added bonus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> GARDENING All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: