I'm getting a kitten in the morning!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: I'm getting a kitten in the morning! Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

Just a quick note. In the morning I have to get up early to go get my new kitten. I picked him out at the nearby shelter today. sunny He's six months old, a medium long hair light orange tabby, just gorgeous!!

When I get the chance I'll take pics of the little guy and post. I spent a half hour with him today but couldn't take him home because I was running late. I made a deposit on his adoption fee so nobody else would take him. sunny sunny sunny
Tysabri 06/07 through 09/09
On Copaxone again since 12/09 and hoping for oral meds to come out!
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I can't wait to see the photos!
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cat has found a human being to be his slave!

The world needs more people like you. Cats think so too, I'm sure.

Once he gets settled in, he'll be sure to let you know if he objects to anything. But most of the time he'll shower you with gratitude and contentment.

Congratulations!
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt and Agate,

I just got up awhile ago, I'm going to get him in a few minutes. I'll get him settled in, then I'm going on a shopping trip with my sister and getting him a scratching post. He'll be spoiled tonight when I get home! DH will be here part of the day to check on him and get acquainted. cheers
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's home! He's a shy boy, but he'll warm up eventually and be a fine member of the family. sunny

Here's a link to some photos, his are the first two. I had to take them from inside his carrier, the poor little thing!

http://ewizabeth.tripod.com/wizs_pictures/
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very elegant looking! I like those tufts in his ears!

Does he have a name yet?

He looks as if he's open to new experiences. He'll probably be making himself right at home soon enough.
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't named him yet. He's been in the carrier for five hours! I hope he'll relax soon. He has the run of the house, and he'll be really spoiled, I hope he can unwind and enjoy his life of leisure. :-)
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's going to be an indoor cat--?

As long as he knows where his litter box and his food and water are, he'll probably be fine--and come out in his own good time, when he feels it's safe.

Phoebe became my cat when she was about 8 years old, and she spent her first several months here hiding under the bed. I put her food and water right by the bed, and I never did see her eating or drinking.

Funny thing, though--somehow the food and water supply decreased each day, and so she must have been sneaking out when nobody was looking.
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agate,

He'll have the run of the inside of the house. He won't ever be allowed outdoors, too dangerous out there!

That's reassuring to hear that about Phoebe, I can deal with that! I woke up about 5AM and checked on him. He'd eaten a little bit and used the litter box.

I know he played too, because I saw a few disheveled things in the other room. He goes after things with strings (like DH's digital camera strap). Anyway, now he's asleep in the coat closet behind the ironing board, with just enough of his face stuck out for me to see him.

That's where he was at 5AM too, and I looked all over for him down here, calling for him quietly. He finally gave one little mew so I was able to locate him and reach in and pat his head for awhile.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely that it's too dangerous for a cat to be running around outside. Sad but true.

Some cats respond well to a combing or brushing--It seems to calm them down and reassure them in anxious moments.

Sounds as if he's already doing fine though!
cricket52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new family member. Hope he settles in soon. Before you know it he will be ruling the household. sunny
Pooh

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah the rule the household - and you in the end - mine tell me when I am late going to bed ........... lol And I have 4 of them nagging me telling me it's bedtime.

They started out inside cats - but now that we have the back yard fenced in - they enjoy suning themselves out on the patio as well.
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cricket and Pooh,

He's doing great now, he's a real cuddler. When I get home from work he wants me to drop everything and come play with him for awhile. Then, I'm supposed to hold him for awhile... :-)

He's warming up to DH now too, finally! He sleeps against his legs at night. Also, if he's on my lap, and DH enters the kitchen, he's out of my lap like a rocket... icon_smile

Right now, he wants me to hold him, but he's settling with sitting behind me in the chair while I type....

Pooh, when I was growing up we always had 2 or 3 cats. With my limited energy now, I have to limit myself to one I think. He's really getting spoiled though. I have a drawer full of fuzzy toys for him, and he has a new scratching post. He's getting a climbing toy next week... I'm hoping that will save my plants, the shades and stuff up high... cat

He's my substitute grandchild for now...
cricket52

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oddest thing happened the other day. I had just finished selling the carnations at the mall and was in the parking garage waiting for the bus with a small group of people.

I saw a little birl fly by and heard a lady squeal. A yellow and green budgie had landed on her shoulder. She froze, apparently she hates birds.

A girl standing nearby put out her finger and he hopped on. By that time I had made it over with my cane and after some discussion I decided to take him. Someone provided a bag and we got on the bus.

The girl who got to him first really wanted him, so I told her to call me when she got a cage and I would give him to her.

What a pistol he was. I couldn't go anywhere without him sitting on my shoulder, my nose, my glasses. He kissed and cheeped and walked up and down my arm when I was using the mouse. He ate everything I did. I peeled an orange and he sat on top while I peeled it, pecking away happily. He drank my coffee and tea and helped himself to my cereal.

Poor little guy. It was 0 degrees out when we found him. There are no houses near the mall. He was tired and stressed. He didn't like Winston (my budgie) but Winston was enamored with him. She did everything he did and he would chase her off.

The next day the girl called. She had a new cage and all the toys, so I had to let him go.

For 24 hours I had a little sidekick who was quite amusing. Having two birds would be a lot of work, especially when you have to watch what you are doing. He loved marching around the floor.

Ewizabeth: Glad your 'grandchild' is settling in and making himself at home.
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Updated photo album Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just updated my photo album. There are some family pics and pets too. Most of the good kitty pics are on page 2. Rocky's latest pics are there. :-)

http://ewizabeth.tripod.com/wizs_pictures
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the photos!

That Rocky has the look of somebody who has it made. Cats do that when they've found some human beings to latch onto, I've noticed. He's a beautiful color!
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's spoiled rotten!! lol He gets regular playtimes and feedings, and of course, his litterbox must be kept clean... :-)

He's a very loving cat, he rewards us by cuddling on our laps. He had a rough start in life but things are going his way now!
debc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is gorgeous and he looks very satisfied!
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deb,

He's definitely our baby now. sunny He's having his morning playtime right now. I'm throwing the balls for him and he fetches, at least some of the time. :-)
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried him on pingpong balls? A couple of cats I've known really liked them because they make a nice noise bouncing on a bare floor.

One cat I had liked to put them in her people's shoes. Somewhere I heard that when a cat puts things in your shoe on a regular basis, you're being given a gift from the cat.
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet he would like those! But only in the daytime, it might be a bit noisy on the linoleum at night... :-)

I get sparkle fluff balls from Walmart in the craft section. They're about as big as a large pompom ball. My sister gave him some from her cats' collection and he loved them. It's easy for him to carry them back when fetching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> PETS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: