My Menagerie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshmello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: My Menagerie Reply with quote

We have:

A guinea pig
A black one-eyed cat
A freshwater aquarium, inhabitants in no particular order: a water turtle; four "survivor" feeder goldfish, three of which are about 5 inches long; two plecos, one of which is a good 13 inches long
A saltwater aquarium, containing a large batfish, a yellow tang, a green chromis, and possibly others.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshmello, I found a Website with a photo of a pleco (also known as a suckermouth catfish?):

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile34.html

Now that is one impressive fish!

In your saltwater aquarium, you mention "possibly others"--are those fish you're thinking of getting, or fish you haven't located recently?

Is the cat at all interested in watching the fish?

I'm asking because I wonder if my cat would find an aquarium interesting. I seem to recall that maintaining an aquarium is quite a bit of work...[/url]
one&only

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshmellow, I am adopting a one eyed cat tomorrow, it is a 7 week old kitten that someone found along side the road. I just couldn't resist, poor kitty. I have 3 other cats also, oh no, am I becoming one of those cat ladies? Well at least all of them have been fixed, so no chance of kittens.

I also have a quaker parrot, and 1 koi and several gold fish in my pond.
Pat
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Menagerie Reply with quote

marshmello wrote:
We have:

A guinea pig
A black one-eyed cat
A freshwater aquarium, inhabitants in no particular order: a water turtle; four "survivor" feeder goldfish, three of which are about 5 inches long; two plecos, one of which is a good 13 inches long
A saltwater aquarium, containing a large batfish, a yellow tang, a green chromis, and possibly others.

Hi mello

My menagerie isn't as exotic and interesting as yours.

I have 2 dogs and one canary. I love animals. My dogs are great companions. My last kitty lived to be 20 years old and after he passed I couldn't seem to bring myself to adopt another one. Maybe one day.

What did the goldfish survive from?

Joy
LoLo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsh, I didn't know your cat was one-eyed....is this s recent development?

I love saltwater tanks. That's really cool.

Signed: Petless animal lover
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bird feeder right outside the window of my "computer room," so I get to watch a wide variety of birds all day. Not to mention the ubiquitous squirrels, who mount regular attacks on the feeder but always fall to the ground before they get any birdseed.

My favorites, so far, are a pair of cardinals who seem to live in the trees at the back of the yard, and some mourning doves who come around regularly.

The birds aren't exactly my pets, but they do add to my RDA for fauna.

zenna
LoLo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of feeder drops the little bastids to the ground?! I want one!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go. Ours is similar to the "Heritage Farms Bird's Choice Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder" (HF-7511) listed under Hopper Feeders. We got it at the building supply megastore outside town, though, and it was cheaper.

http://tinyurl.com/lwhyu

It doesn't say if that one comes with pole and hanger, though, so it probably doesn't. The "Absolute" version is complete.

All the tree rats can do is climb up the pole/hanger unit and step onto the roof...and slide right off! Most satisfying to watch.

zenna
marshmello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Eyed Willie has always been mono-ocular, Lolo! I adpoted him at six weeks when he was found hidden by his mother at my parents' house. His eye was badly damaged and had scabbed over, I took him to the vet and was given a choice: either put him to sleep, or pay to have the eye removed.

DH was NOT happy to receive a $500 one-eyed alley cat for his birthday. His coworkers teased him mercilessly for weeks! And Willie is a little shit now. DH was laying on the couch watching TV, and Willie ran up and sank his teeth into DH's head. Lost half a fang. How's that for gratitude?!

The "survivor" goldfish were feeders bought for our turtle, Melvin, when he was eating fish regularly. For some reason Melvin lost the taste for goldfish (though he still eats guppies) and these remaining feeder fish have grown like you wouldn't believe.

As for the saltwater tank, it is hard to keep track of what's in there because the turnover is unfortunately high. Saltwater fish are incredibly delicate, and since our batfish has gotten so big (about seven inches from top of fin to bottom) he is eating the smaller, less-agressive fish that come along. DH has a compability chart and is careful about what species he incorporates into the tank, but Bruce Wayne (batfish) has taken out some neighbors that otherwise should have been compatible. The current tally is Bruce, a black and white angel, a yellow tang, a blue tang, a clown fish (seeing a Nemo theme here?) and the little chromis.
Not Red5_bc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three kitties (2 black) and one dog.

The kitties tried last night to bring home a new friend (another black kitty) into the house at 1:30AM. The dog was not pleased. I was impressed the dog could differentiate the new guy from the other two black cats.

here's me and my pup.

Last edited by Not Red5_bc on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:41 am; edited 2 times in total
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agate wrote:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile34.html

Now that is one impressive fish!

... maintaining an aquarium is quite a bit of work...[/url]

Agate,

We had a fish like him and we just called it a scavenger, or bottom feeder. It's interesting they will eat lettuce, if I had known that, they may have been happier. Our two were named Kirby and Hoover. Jump And as I recall, our aquarium was a lot of work, but we had huge goldfish and the bottom feeders. I had to drain it halfway each week and scrub the sides, then refill.
Tysabri 06/07 through 09/09
On Copaxone again since 12/09 and hoping for oral meds to come out!
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cat Sweet Pea passed away about a month ago. I would like another one, but I'm allergic, so I'm torn trying to decide. I love cats, so we might have to get another one.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of a number of ways people who are allergic to cats can still be around cats--I'll run them by you, ewizabeth, though you may have tried all of them:

1- One woman I used to know took a pill just before she knew she was going to be in a place with a cat present. I don't know what a cat owner would do--keep taking the pills? I don't recall the name of the pill, either, but it was an anti-allergy medication.

2 - Some books recommend giving your cat a daily bath because it cuts down on the dander. It's probably best to start out on a kitten because they're easier to bathe--and they'd get used to the, uh, experience while still young. I've heard of the occasional cat who LOVES getting a bath....

3 - Another recommendation I've read about is banning the cat from your bedroom while you're sleeping.

4 - One more recommendation was daily vacuuming of the household.

I hope you can find a way to get another kitty!
ewizabeth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Agate,

Thanks for the pointers.

The easiest one for me would be to keep the bedroom door shut at night. We tried that with a previous cat, and he made lots of noise on the other side (twanging a spring-type doorstop endlessly, running his paws across aluminum mini blinds, etc...). I suppose for it to work, you would have to do it from day one.
LoLo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DH was NOT happy to receive a $500 one-eyed alley cat for his birthday. His coworkers teased him mercilessly for weeks! And Willie is a little shit now. DH was laying on the couch watching TV, and Willie ran up and sank his teeth into DH's head. Lost half a fang. How's that for gratitude?!

Thank you. I have now peed my pants.

WHY would he sink his fangs in your poor hubby's HEAD? That is bizarre!

OMG Jan - I want the Yankee Flipper!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> PETS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: