(Abstract) Resistance training in women with MS...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: (Abstract) Resistance training in women with MS... Reply with quote

Quote:

Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2006;66(4):351-6.

Effect of resistance training on risk of coronary artery disease in women with multiple sclerosis

White LJ, McCoy SC, Castellano V, Ferguson MA, Hou W, Dressendorfer RH.

Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Applied Human Physiology Laboratory, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.

The effects of a lower-extremity progressive resistance-training program (PRT) on risk factors for coronary artery disease (CAD) were determined in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS).

Twelve ambulatory women with MS (47.3+/-4.7 years; Expanded Disability Status Score (EDSS), 4.00+/-1.37) completed twice weekly lower-body PRT for 8 weeks. Knee extensor and ankle flexor strength improved significantly (p<0.05) after training, and self-reported fatigue decreased (p<0.05). Serum triglyceride concentrations decreased (p<0.05) but body-weight and fatness, blood pressure, and serum glucose, total cholesterol and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol were unchanged. However, the number of CAD risk factors that reached the clinical threshold for each subject declined after PRT, suggesting that resistance training can promote CAD risk reduction in ambulatory female MS subjects.

Jun 14 2006 10:29:54

Snoopy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting....

I have been doing resistance training for a few years now but because of problems with my right leg I haven't been real consistant lately.

I actually enjoy it....when consistant it really helped with spasticity and my flexability.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm doing exercises regularly though they are boring--some of them are classified as resistance training. I keep doing them because they really do help with pain problems I have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse