(Abstract) Liver test abnormalities in MS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: (Abstract) Liver test abnormalities in MS Reply with quote

From PubMed, 10/13/06:

Quote:
Neurology. 2006 Oct 10;67(7):1291-3.

Liver test abnormalities in multiple sclerosis: findings from placebo-treated patients

Tremlett H, Seemuller S, Zhao Y, Yoshida EM, Oger JD, Petkau J.
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada. tremlett@interchange.ubc.ca

The risk of an abnormal liver test in 813 patients with multiple sclerosis or clinically isolated syndrome enrolled in placebo arms of clinical trials was greater than expected for alanine aminotransferase (ALT) (relative risk [RR] 3.7; 95% CI: 2.3 to 6.0) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) (RR 2.2; 95% CI: 1.3 to 3.6), although not alkaline phosphatase (AP) or total bilirubin, at first presentation.

Abnormal test results were associated with higher body mass index (ALT only), male gender (ALT only), and a relapsing-remitting (vs secondary-progressive) course (ALT and AST only).

Sweetyhide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I was looking through my tests (picked up all my records for the Tovaxin trial) and saw where my AST & ALT levels were high. I was wondering why since this was performed before I started MS meds.
I figured it was because I was on a high dose of statin, but it was normal on another test then back up again. I wonder if it's related to exerbations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse