(Abstract) Jacqueline du Pre's unusual MS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: (Abstract) Jacqueline du Pre's unusual MS Reply with quote

From the 22nd congress of ECTRIMS (European Committee for the Treatment and Research of Multiple Sclerosis), Madrid, 9/28/06:

Quote:
MS symptomsThursday, September 28, 2006, 15:30 - 17:00

Klüver-Bucy syndrome and multiple sclerosis. The extraordinary story of Jacqueline du Pré

M. Elian (London, UK)

Background:
The du Pré siblings’ book "Genius in the Family" and the subsequent award winning film ‘Hillary and Jackie’ prompted abundant and controversial media coverage a decade following the premature death of the cellist Jacqueline du Pré from multiple sclerosis (MS).

Method: This report is based on information obtained from the book; personal observations during repeated encounters with Jacqueline du Pré in various social settings; interviews with her husband’s relatives, with friends and her carer.

Results: She inexplicably suddenly and temporarily left her husband one year before the onset of neurological symptoms; she showed querulous and promiscuous behaviour character-alien to her premorbid self. Stuffing her mouth with food after grabbing it with both hands with voracious appetite i.e. unconventional eating pattern; placidity, explosive laughter and possibly hypersexuality characterised her behaviour late in her illness.

No data on imaging or underlying pathology is at my disposal.

Discussion: Based on clinical data I propose that the unstable mental state with out-of- character behaviour lasting one year before onset of neurological symptoms and signs were an integral part of the disease and its first sign. Pure psychiatric presentations of multiple sclerosis are described in the literature and are uncommon.

Observing her antisocial unconventional eating habits, one could not help but be reminded [of] the textbook pictures which illustrate descriptions of Klüver-Bucy syndrome.

To my knowledge Klüver-Bucy syndrome has not yet been described in MS. This absence is rather surprising as bilateral temporal lobe lesions in MS are theoretically not inconceivable.

Conclusion: This unusual woman had an unusual MS: a pure psychiatric presentation; Klüver Bucy Syndrome; a fulminating course and premature death. Integrating the psychiatric symptoms into her illness – both at the onset and late in the course of the disease – explains and justifies her out-of-character behaviour.

I also try to give homage to the artist, her distinguished husband and to the memory of her loving and caring mother-in-law Aida Barenboim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse