A link for understanding MRIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bntgal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: A link for understanding MRIs Reply with quote

Hi ya folks,

There was a link at BT that was very helpful in explaining lesion locations. I thought I saved it, but evidently I didn't. Does anyone have a link that specifically explains lesion placement and symptoms that accompany the lesion location?

My neuro shocked me with the news that I have two new active lesions. She said it explains why I suddenly had trouble walking back in May. I have to decide whether I will switch to Rebif, Tysabri or go back to monthly one day solu infusions. Needless to say, I don't like any of the choices. I have a month to decide though. Anyway, I would like to match up the lesions from the copy of the MRI report with that site that explained it all so well. I'm hoping someone here has the link.

Thanks in advance!
Not Red5_bc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my neuro said there was no real link between lesion placement and symptoms. He said that unlike a tumor where the regions are pretty well defined, they just don't really know which nerves go to where.
jumpstart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Red5_bc wrote:
my neuro said there was no real link between lesion placement and symptoms. He said that unlike a tumor where the regions are pretty well defined, they just don't really know which nerves go to where.

I think that's true to some degree, but in some areas of the brain, they ARE well mapped and they can figure a lesion in one area is the cause of a symptom in another.

But your right, in lots of areas in the brain, they can't tell you what would be affected by a lesion in a certain spot.
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told the same thing. Sometimes, you can have a lesion in an area which usually causes a certain type of symptom, but you are asymptomatic, it isn't in JUST the right spot (this USUALLY is not the case with thoracic lesions). Other times, you can have symptoms but no lesions showing on MRI in that area. You also can't predict where future lesion-forming activity is going to occur.

Walking problems can be caused by lesions located in a huge variety of locations on MRI.

I hope whatever medication you choose works for you.

Do you know where on your MRI your two active lesions are?
bntgal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt, Yes there is a new lesion in my brain (it is small) and another new one on my thoracic spine. T-7. I have a stable lesion at T-2, this T-7 just popped up since my last MRI was done last year. Because of my difficulty walking, back in May, she was suspicious and had me do the MRI's a little earlier then usual, just to make sure. Her suspicion was correct, unfortunately.
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since thoracic lesions usually are symptomatic, it sounds like that could be causing the walking problems.

I HATE THORACIC LESIONS. I used to have two of them, at T-6 and T-8.

Good luck with the meds. I have no intention of going off of Beta because I don't want any more thoracic lesions...yuck.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dar,

I remember that a URL like the one you're looking for was posted on BrainTalk, but I can't find it.

I did find a URL on some correlations between MRI findings and MS lesions, though--specifically cerebellar lesions:

http://tinyurl.com/fsgsk
bntgal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch agate, coincidentally dizziness was the reason my MS diagnosis was made back in '93. I'm very interested in the site and plan to go back to it and this time SAVE it to my favorites. Ha! I have my MRI's and now I will be able to look at specific areas. I'm going to keep trying to find another site, maybe I'll eventually run into the site referenced at BT.

Matt, how long did it take for your lesions to become stable. I know for every lesion that shows there could be any number of lesions that aren't showing up on the MRI. I hope this isn't the beginning of leg problems for me. I just want to take the right drug that will get it to calm back down again.

My doctor and I were so excited that I had fully recovered from my May attack. I could even jump up and down on each leg 4-5 times each. We considered the MRI results just a formality to end the appointment, and instead we become aware of two new lesions. This disease just doesn't make any sense sometimes. I'm totally recovered but have two active lesions??? Weird!
Not Red5_bc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get to do a functional MRI in three weeks. I'm kind of excited about that. I'll get to see what my brain is doing when I answer questions and move around. It's part of a cognition study I volunteered to do.
bntgal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Red5, that sounds so cool! I've seen it on TV and have wondered what it is really like. I hope you keep us posted and let us know what it was like and what the results revealed.
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MRI of the thoracic region actually wasn't taken untill something like 8 or 9 months after the attacks were over, so the lesions weren't active. My weakness and bladder attacks went on for 5 months. I would want to try to stop those active lesions too.

Maybe the lesions are less active now than they were before because have been going into remission (as evidenced by your symptomatic remission)?

Good luck with the fMRI, red5.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dar, this might be of some help:
http://www.msfocus.org/info_symptoms.php

and this:

http://www.unitedspinal.org/publications/msqr/?p=75
bntgal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I was on beta for about 9 months back in '95. I stopped because I never adjusted to the flu like symptoms, but I do remember how quickly I went into remission and I stayed in remission until around '99. After I began relapsing again, my doctor talked me into going on copax. Now that it isn't working as well, I am seriously considering trying Rebif. My present doctor assures me there are better ways to handle the flu like symptoms and the information I received even states that Rebif has a titration pack, so that my system can slowly adjust. Sounds good to me so far. Just have to see what my GP thinks about me going back on monthly solu pulses. That also worked great for me, so it is a tough decision.

Agate, GREAT sites, I love both of them. Thanks so much for finding them and posting the links for me. It is exactly what I was looking for.

I have ruled out Tysabri completely. I don't like the info on increased risk of infections contained in the insert. I have enough problems handling and controlling infections I don't want to start taking something that will increase my risks.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dar, you wrote:

Quote:
I have ruled out Tysabri completely. I don't like the info on increased risk of infections contained in the insert. I have enough problems handling and controlling infections I don't want to start taking something that will increase my risks.

I can understand that completely!
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rebif sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I'm lucky in that I have no side effects with the Betaseron. Good luck.

I would personally only consider Tysabri if I were having moderate to severe flare-up after moderate to severe flare-up, some of which were leaving permanant symptoms despite taking interferon. Even then, I would most likely only take it for a limited period of time.
I can see why some people just wouldn't ever take it, though.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse