(News item) Caregiver fleeces 3 clients with MS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: (News item) Caregiver fleeces 3 clients with MS Reply with quote

From the Jackson (Michigan)Citizen Patriot, August 17, 2006:

Quote:

Caregiver fleeces three clients

Thursday, August 17, 2006
By Steven Hepker
shepker@citpat.com -- 768-4923

A Jackson woman who was a caregiver for three women with multiple sclerosis ended up being more of a taker.

Kerri Lynn Clark, 20, was sentenced Wednesday to 90 days in jail. She pleaded guilty to using a credit card without consent.

Investigators say Clark siphoned $600 from Carol Krawczak's bank account using her debit card, plus charged $400 to her credit card.

Krawczak and two other women with multiple sclerosis live together and require help around the clock. Clark started working for the women in January, running errands and helping around the house.

Krawczak gave Clark her debit card to pick up prescriptions. Clark later raided her account.

The housemates are taking it hard. The crime is one matter, they say. The deeper meaning is the threat to their independence.

"Living independently is incredibly important," Krawczak said in a statement read by friend Lisa Butterfield. "Because of my situation, my voice and the voices of those like me sometimes get lost."

Kaye Whitaker, who lives with Krawczak and also uses a wheelchair, said Clark's misdeeds took away a sense of freedom.

"We joined together to try to live independently, so it makes me sad to know we are so vulnerable," she said.

Clark has a criminal background and already was serving 180 days in jail for probation violation on a previous stolen-credit case.

"This is your last chance short of prison," Circuit Judge Chad Schmucker told Clark.

Because she has been in jail 90 days already, she will now serve 180 more, Schmucker said.

Assistant Prosecutor Nick Mehalco Jr. asked for a stiffer sentence because Clark has a habit of stealing credit cards.

He said she has proved heartless.

"It is morally reprehensible to take advantage of someone in Carol's situation," Mehalco said.

Schmucker scolded Clark for preying on a "clearly vulnerable" person.

"I'm getting help," Clark said.

"You are getting 180 days of help," Schmucker said.

lady_express_44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How LOW can we go?

Cherie
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this story very believable, unfortunately.

I have had caregivers for many years, and many (maybe most) of them have a lot of hostility towards their clients. With some it's right out in the open, but with most it's something you find out about as time goes on and the attitude starts to show.

It seems to be related to envy. Some of them have told me that they don't see why they're having to ruin their health doing errands and essential housework for disabled/elderly people, when they have a pretty good idea that when their time comes, and they are disabled and/or elderly, the system won't be there any more to help them. They're convinced that this is how it will be.

So it's not surprising that some of them go another step in this thought process and figure they're "entitled" to take whatever they can get, while they can get it, from clients.

I have two neighbors who have had cash taken from their apartments by caregivers.
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that many of these people would not be highly educated and on a fairly low income too?

Cherie
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're definitely poorly paid, with almost no benefits. I sympathize completely with their attitude (though not with the theft part scratch ) and I wish I didn't have to use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse