GREAT review of CSNY's latest tour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: GREAT review of CSNY's latest tour Reply with quote

Freedom of Speech '06.

Leave it to those guys...they're carrying the torch of civility in the 21st century too. Let's Impeach The President

It NEEDS to be said.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the review?

Quote:

CSNY's Tour of Duty: A Live Review

ANDY GREENE
ONLINE EXCLUSIVE

Plus: Check out an extended interview with Neil Young and audio interviews with David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Graham Nash (RealPlayer required).

When Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young agreed to hit the road this year, Neil Young hadn't yet recorded his politically charged new album, Living With War. "The plan was go to go out and do what we normally do," Graham Nash says. "But Neil went from the initial concept of Living With War to handing the tape in to the record company in about fourteen days." Adds Stephen Stills: "Yeah, he does that shit all the time. It's devastatingly annoying. It's like, who can do that?"

With the new album -- and Young's undisputed anchoring of the reunited group -- it was clear the band would have to play more than the hits. And adding newer, rawer material to a repertoire of boomer favorites like "Teach Your Children" and "Our House" required trial and error. "We tried sprinkling my songs throughout the show, and that didn't work because they disturbed everything," Young says. "In the end, we put them all together and isolated the other ones. It took us two weeks to discover that was the way to do it."

Towards the end of a stop in St. Paul, Minnesota, the band plays a somber, acoustic version of "Find the Cost of Freedom." Images of dead soldiers appear beside a tally of U.S. casualties in Iraq. It is the quietest -- and most powerful -- moment of the show. When they follow with "Let's Impeach the President," the entire audience sings along ("We're preaching to the choir," Stephen Stills says). Next is a trio of Vietnam-era protest tunes -- "For What It's Worth," "Chicago" and "Ohio" -- and a Crazy Horse style "Rockin' in the Free World," during which former Buffalo Springfield guitarists Stills and Young competing to outdo each other. By the end, nearly every string from Young's famous black Les Paul is torn.

As we approach the airport, Neil Young tells me he has no idea what the future holds. "Maybe at the end of the tour I'll have some idea," he says. "I really haven't thought about it. I just wait for it to happen. I've been off the road for two years -- the longest of my whole career. It pretty good to be back in the swing of things. We played a show last night, traveled, and I still have energy, so I'm grateful for that. I'm having great time doing this."

Plus: Check out an extended interview with Neil Young and audio interviews with David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Graham Nash (RealPlayer required).

Posted Jul 28, 2006 1:36 PM

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/11035117/csnys_tour_of_duty_a_live_review
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's good bot the one I'm referring to is from the Chicago Times http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/index.html
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a USAtoday thing...Living With War
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MUSIC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse