Why Do Dr.s hesitate on LDN ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Soul

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Why Do Dr.s hesitate on LDN ? Reply with quote

Why Do Dr.s hesitate on LDN ?
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably because LDN for MS hasn't been through the clinical trials and other tests required for FDA approval.
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naltrexone, at a much higher dosage (300mg a day, I think), was FDA safety approved in the 1980's. It has been rx'd to anyone with a drug or alcohol addiction, including those people with HIV, MS, or any other medical condition.

The doctors/neuros claim the issue with LDN, rx'd at 4.5mg for MS'ers, is that it has not undergone clinical trials specifically for MS. For some reason MS'ers are an elite group, when it comes to getting off-label rx's for LDN, even though we have no trouble getting rx's for any other off-label drug.

LDN just completed a trial for Crohn's disease in the US, and the results have recently been published. The results were presented at the Digestive Disease Week Conference, held in Los Angeles on May 21st 2006.

Crohn's is considered an inflammatory bowel disorder (IBD), which has been linked with MS. Crohn's patients have a relapsing-remitting course of disease, with periods of flareups and remission, similar to MS. IBD'ers are 1.7 times as likely to have MS than controls and both conditions are thought to be auto-immune in nature.

"The MS-therapy-in-waiting Tysabri was being tested in parallel with Crohn's patients. As such, the impact of LDN on Crohn's patients likely has some relevance to MS'ers."

The LDN trial showed that 90% of patients exhibited a response to Low Dose Naltrexone as therapy, and 67% achieved remission.

"Conclusions: LDN therapy offers an alternative safe, effective, and economic means of treating subjects with active Crohn’s disease."

http://www.thisisms.com/article264.html

Basically, there is no good reason for a doctor or neuro to not rx LDN, IMHO.

Cherie
LoLo

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it yourself: "economic". I'm not a tinfoil-hat kind of person, but I do believe that's a big reason we don't have LDN. Who's willing to cough up the cash for trials when there's nothing in it for them? Big pharma could actually lose money on the deal, considering what the currently available therapies cost. I wish a large MS organization would step up to the plate.
Tango

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting LDN in a month. Unfortunately the Pres has eliminated government funding for drug trials. pale I am so excited about starting my LDN. If it has any great benefits for PwMS further trials should be conducted.

sunny Tango
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse