Tai Chi/Yoga exercise videos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Tai Chi/Yoga exercise videos Reply with quote

I took part in a survey for Teva Neuroscience recently (they put out Copaxone), and as a reward I received a DVD of the MS Exercise Series, volume 2:

--Yes, You Can Tai Chi!

--Yes, You Can Yoga!

This excellent material is produced by the MS Awareness Foundation.

http://www.msawareness.org

Every person participating in the exercises on the DVD has MS.

Many of the yoga exercises are done lying on the floor (on a mat), but one person is seated, to show the modifications for people who need to be seated.

Breathing patterns get special emphasis, and the routines move slowly and clearly, in a spirit of serenity. The colors used are especially well chosen, in my opinion.

There is a leaflet for both the Tai Chi and the Yoga programs. The illustrations are clear and easy to understand.

In the Tai Chi leaflet, there is #6, "Wind Swings the Willow Tree," and there is #7, "Pick the Stars to Replace the Moon."

The Yoga section includes postures named "Adaptive Half Down Dog" and "Corpse Pose."

These are not as strange as you might think. If you believe exercise is a way to have better mobility, you might want to get this series. The DVD, which includes both Yoga and Tai Chi, is $24.95 plus $4.00 for shipping/handling.

Or you can get each one separately on VHS videos for $14.95 each, plus $4.00 for shipping.

The Tai Chi routines are done outdoors, and the beautiful trees surrounding the exercisers are restful on the eyes.

"Practice slowness," we're told in the Tai Chi program. Not a bad idea, in general, for somebody with MS.

My only slight complaint about the DVD is that Coldwater Creek gets a prominent credit at the end for the women's clothes. At least it's not a real commercial.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one other slight complaint about the Tai Chi video. Some of the routines went on too long for me, and I got tired.

"Collecting the chi," for instance, which involves circling the arms slowly and repeatedly, went through about 14 reps.
Sweetyhide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 reps! I wouldn't make it 3!
Arm pain is my 2nd biggest complaint.

What about the yoga? Any complaints for that one?
I have been meaning to start some easy yoga.
Keep putting it off.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the yoga one easier.

Both of these types of exercise have the advantage of being slow, deliberate, and controlled--and their effect is graceful.

You're never asked to do any of the more twisted-up yoga positions.
Sweetyhide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Agate.
Now if I can just get off my tail bone and order it.

Seems procrastination is another one of my problems.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

I'm planning on ordering the T'ai Chi one myself. DS #3 is a T'ai Chi instructor in Oregon, and he's going to take a look at it and maybe make some modifications for my specific physical issues when he makes his annual visit to us in September.

Yoga I've got covered "in-house"--DD is a Kripalu yoga instructor specializing in adaptive yoga for the sick and disabled, and she lives close enough to come home every other weekend. She's worked out a chair-and-bed routine for me, since I can't get down on (or up from) the floor any more.

zenna
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found these fairly simple exercises quite helpful for building strength & learning proper breathing.

I have since expanded my routine to include the use of:

I have had two paralysis attacks, and it is really hard to function and recover if the muscle strength isn't maintained, prior to the attack.

Cherie
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this from a book called 9 to 5 Yoga?

Do you happen to have more details, like the author and publication date? I think I'd like to look into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse