(National MS Society Website) Tysabri approved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: (National MS Society Website) Tysabri approved Reply with quote

Quote:

FDA Approves Tysabri®'s Return to Market

June 5, 2006—The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the return to market of Tysabri® (natalizumab, Biogen Idec and Elan Pharmaceuticals) to delay the accumulation of physical disability and reduce the frequency of clinical exacerbations (relapses) in those with relapsing multiple sclerosis. This is good news for people with MS, and means that there are more treatment choices available. Further information will be forthcoming.

For further details, go to the FDA's Web site at www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/natalizumab

[From the National MS Society. They also say that it may be several weeks before Tysabri is available.]

Last edited by agate on Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

This is great news! Thanks for posting this.
Snoopy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected the FDA to approve Tysabri.

I have no desire to try Tysabri at this point....I feel it's too much of a risk.

For those that are not aware...I have never used any of the disease modifying drugs, I don't believe they work as well as we are lead to believe.

I know many feel these drugs are the only hope we have and I respect the choice of those that use them.

IMHO....Tysabri is a very big risk and for me I am choosing to wait.....I wish those that will be using Tysabri all the best and really hope it helps you.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoopy, I agree with you. More power to anyone with the courage to try Tysabri, but I won't be trying it.

After 3 years on Avonex, I haven't opted to take any other disease-modifying drug for MS.

I can't help thinking about all of the great new drugs that came along in my lifetime, and then years later it turned out that they were causing some other horrible problem to develop in many of the people who took the drugs.

Who knows what type of horrific disease is going to show up 15 years down the pike among persons now taking one of the ABCRs? There are many worse diseases than MS floating around.

I know this is a very pessimistic view, but I'm just a gloomy Gladys. If I were bedridden or had totally lost the power to speak, I might feel entirely differently. I'd probably grasp at any straw that came my way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

agate wrote:
Snoopy, I agree with you. More power to anyone with the courage to try Tysabri, but I won't be trying it.

After 3 years on Avonex, I haven't opted to take any other disease-modifying drug for MS.

I can't help thinking about all of the great new drugs that came along in my lifetime, and then years later it turned out that they were causing some other horrible problem to develop in many of the people who took the drugs.

Who knows what type of horrific disease is going to show up 15 years down the pike among persons now taking one of the ABCRs? There are many worse diseases than MS floating around.

I know this is a very pessimistic view, but I'm just a gloomy Gladys. If I were bedridden or had totally lost the power to speak, I might feel entirely differently. I'd probably grasp at any straw that came my way.

agate, may I ask why you stopped Avonex? Just curious. I had to stop Rebif because my liver was slowly being destroyed.

I don't see your view as pessimistic or gloomy. I think you're being realistic. I think we're all probably trying to be realistic and we just see it a bit differently.

I've thought a lot about not doing any therapy and not because it's unpleasant. I've thought about not doing a therapy for the same reason you list above, what if it kills me in the long run or encourages some horrible disease worse than MS (we know such diseases are out there.)

I actually went for several months after my diagnosis (after stopping Copaxone)with no theraphy.

What it came down to, for me, was this. Two things.

1) I didn't want to end up in that bed you mentioned wondering - what IF I could've prevented this from happening? It's a catch 22.

2) My main goal from the first moment of my diagnosis has been one thing - to stop/control the pain of TN and prevent any further attacks on that nerve. The pain was so severe and so critical for me that I didn't know how I could make it another day.

That's really it. In the end, after much thought, I decided that I didn't have the luxury of choice.

I'm not saying that you DO the luxury of choice. Not at all. I'm just saying that for me I have to do everything possible because if the pain returns (I'm on a mantainence dose of Tegretol of 800mg per day) my life would be seriously compromised.

Joy
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy, I don't know if you recall Thalidomide--? It was supposed to be a great drug for curing morning sickness in pregnant women, and so a lot of women took it trustingly. Then a lot of women began giving birth to babies with no arms and/or legs, and it was Thalidomide that caused that to happen.

Poof! There went Thalidomide--at least I think it's off the market. I haven't heard of it in years except in connection with those disastrous births.

There have been other cases of "wonderful" new drugs that have turned out to cause unexpected problems for people--sometimes really major problems.

But I had to stop Avonex after 3 years of it because I passed out one night (a few hours after the weekly shot) and fell. The neuro thought I should avoid all of the interferons from then on.

Copaxone is still a possibility, but I keep sitting on the fence about it.

On the one hand, I SHOULD do whatever I can to slow down the MS process.

On the other hand, none of the ABCRs have been shown to be effective in SPMS, which is what I have.
And I've had MS for so long--they don't really know much about how these drugs affect people my age.

AND there are my doubts about any new medicines. So as of now it's no Copaxone.

Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 2007-2010.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

agate,

I SO do understand what you're saying here. I've sat on my fence so long it has a butt groove. :)

Yes I do remember Thalidomide. It was tragic. Let's hope none of the ABCRs fit into that scenerio.

They like to tout (sp) Copaxone as SE free but it isn't. I keep up with the new stuff they add to the prescribing information and the list grows longer and longer. I could list a few here and I may later.

((agate)) I so hope you continue to do well.
XOXOX
Joy
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you cosidered methotrexate or azathioprine, Agate? There is some evidence at least that methotrexate might help in progressive MS. But, there isn't much evidence for anything working in people who have been SPMS for years.

Of course, some people who take methotrexate for years get crihosis of the liver. It requires monitoring. There are a lot of people who have taken it for ages for Rheumatoid arthritis. For the most part, it seems safe.

Most upsettingly, people who can't speak anymore can't take any disease modifying treatments, because they are already at such a risk of pneumonia without immunosuppression. This doesn't apply to you, of course. I think you mentioned it? Or maybe I'm confused?

Last edited by Matt on Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I'll look into methotrexate and azathioprine.

I'm not the one who mentioned that people who have lost their power of speech can't take disease-modifying treatments. I didn't know that, in fact, until I read your post, but it does make sense--about the possibility of pneumonia.

I don't recall reading that when I read all of the literature Biogen puts out about Avonex, but that doesn't mean it isn't a real danger.

My voice is hanging on but not doing very well lately. At least it's still there, a little bit, most of the time. blah5
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agate wrote:

I'm not the one who mentioned that people who have lost their power of speech can't take disease-modifying treatments. I didn't know that, in fact, until I read your post, but it does make sense--about the possibility of pneumonia.

I don't recall reading that when I read all of the literature Biogen puts out about Avonex, but that doesn't mean it isn't a real danger.

It's my friends doctor that says that. He has lost his voice completely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MS - RESEARCH, ARTICLES, ABSTRACTS, DISCUSSION All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse