THE BAD SEED (1985)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: THE BAD SEED (1985) Reply with quote

I read the book and saw the 1956 movie many years ago, probably in the early 1960s, and found that I remembered it surprisingly well this time around, when I watched this 1985 made-for-TV movie. Unfortunately I don’t recall how the 1956 movie ends but I understand that it was changed from the book ending, which at the time was thought to be too dark.

It is a very dark movie indeed, and presenting the scenes in a brightly lit or sunny ambience as this movie does just makes the story all the more chilling. Even more chilling, when you think about it, is the near-plausibility of its premise: that the personality of a pathological killer might be innate and transmitted down through generations through some still undiscovered gene.

I will always think of the child as Rhoda Penmark, not Rachel, and I can’t imagine why her name was changed for this movie. The name Penmark is an interesting if not very subtle choice since it is a penmanship medal that Rhoda/Rachel covets so much that she sends one of her classmates to his death off a dangerous pier.

Carrie Wells is perfect as the child–very attractive and endowed with a charming smile that would win anybody over. John Carradine is excellent in his role as Leroy too. Lynn Redgrave probably does as good a job as anyone could with the part of Monica Breedlove. The scenes with the Breedloves are among the least successful though. The dialogue seems wooden and stilted, and Monica comes off as a bit too effusive and gungho.

I found that I remembered the story so well that I could predict every upcoming scene. I wonder if someone unfamiliar with the story would also be able to predict the next development. If so, then the story presented here would be a failure for it is meant to be suspenseful.

Still, I found it suspenseful enough to stick with it to the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MOVIES All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse