Periodic health checkups of no value?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Periodic health checkups of no value? Reply with quote

From Physician's Health Watch, November 20, 2012:

Quote:
Periodic Health Exams in General Population Don't Reduce Mortality Risk

General wellness checks to identify disease risk factors and symptoms in healthy people appear to have no effect on mortality, according to a Cochrane meta-analysis in BMJ.

Researchers analyzed the results of 14 randomized trials comprising some 180,000 adults (geriatric trials were excluded). Patients were randomized either to health checks conducted in a primary care or community setting or to no health checks. The exams were not associated with a reduction in all-cause, cardiovascular, or cancer-related mortality.

An editorialist concludes: "The history of health promotion through routine health checks has been one of glorious failure, but generations of well meaning clinicians and public health physicians struggle to allow themselves to believe it. We need to reinforce the message lest some enthusiast reinvent the health check in another guise."

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just found out that I am prediabetic, and three of the hernias that I never saw a doctor about should probably be fixed. So, I am not totally convinced of this. But, maybe I am a statistical outlier.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're probably looking around frantically for ways of cutting costs. I think it's probably often a good idea to have an annual physical, particularly for anyone with a chronic health problem.
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't know what a "general wellness check is". I thought it had to be the same thing as a hernia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> GENERAL All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse