Myths about water-drinking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Myths about water-drinking Reply with quote

From Berkeley Wellness Alerts, November 16, 2012:

Quote:
Claims That Don't Hold Water

You may be surprised to know that you don't need to drink eight glasses of water a day to prevent dehydration and stay healthy.

Don't schools and countless experts advise it? What about those people chugging from water bottles all day long? It's still a myth, and no one really knows where it came from originally. Today this claim is often made by (no surprise) the bottled water industry.

The notion that we don't drink enough water -- that is, at least eight glasses a day -- is not only nonsense, but is "thoroughly debunked nonsense," according to an editorial in the British journal BMJ.

Here are some other water myths. Drinking lots of water does not improve kidney function or help kidneys eliminate toxins -- let alone improve overall health. It won't bathe your organs in extra fluid and thus improve their function. Don't expect it to lower blood pressure, boost concentration in kids, improve skin tone, or prevent headaches, despite the claims.

Yes, water is a great drink. If it comes from the tap, it's cheap and environmentally friendly. And yes, it may help you control your weight if it replaces caloric beverages. But that doesn't mean water promotes weight loss.

How much to drink? If you're healthy and not exercising or working hard in the heat, thirst is your best guide. Most fruits and vegetables are about 90 percent water. Other beverages also provide fluid, as do soups and stews. Coffee and tea supply water, too; it's a fallacy that they cause a net water loss.

Older people do need to try to drink more water -- older bodies cope less well with heat, and thirst may be a less reliable indicator. People with recurring kidney stones may also benefit from drinking more water.
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a surprise to me, particularly. It's interesting how much unsubstatiated BS gets perpetrated, though.
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink vodka everyday. The mixer I use is mostly water mixed with a lemonade mix. Anyone want to arm wrestle?

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love a good arm wrestle. I have a lemony vodka cooler every day too!

(I think it helps my MS because it is good for the circulatory system, and MS lesions occur around veins).

I had to cut back on the vodka for being pre-diabetic, though.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Howie!

The idea being promoted here has Scriptural backing:

Quote:
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

--1 Timothy 5:23 (King James version)

Well, vodka isn't mentioned but probably only because they didn't have it. If they'd had it, they certainly would have mentioned it, right?

"Drink no longer water, but use a little vodka for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."

Sounds OK to me but I don't always do everything the Bible says to do.
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joan, thanks for making me laugh. I really needed something to get me out of my overly serious mood of the day.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Travel not in the path of the overly serious mood."
--1 Agate 14:35.
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he he joker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> GENERAL All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse