I love a real eclectic variety of music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaithS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: I love a real eclectic variety of music Reply with quote

50's - 70's
20's - 40's
hymns and hymn arrangements, sometimes
contemporary Christian
show tunes
rag, jazz
country, sometimes
classical

On the radio, I usually listen to either contemporary Christian or classic rock.

Once a week, I volunteer to play "dinner music" on the piano at a local nursing home. They let me play anything I want, so I play a variety -- all of the above. (I have a whole file cabinet full of piano music.)

I always start with "Bless This House" and a couple of hymns.

I end with some children's Sunday School songs, and "May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You". And, just play a variety in the middle.

I wasn't sure, when I first started playing, if they'd like all of that variety, but they do. I thought they might prefer just hymns. I live in the Bible belt, and many residents at that nursing home are Mennonites.

But, if I ask if they have any requests for next time I come, the comment I usually get is that they like my selections, they like the variety -- just keep doing what I do.

One other comment is that they love the Sunday School songs, because of the memories they bring back.

I do other volunteer and work things during the week, but, this is by far the most enjoyable thing that I do every week.

~ Faith
FaithS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I also play the piano for one of our worship bands in church once a month.

I actually had to learn some new skills to be able to do that. Most of our music has only guitar chords. The first time I played, I used the guitar chords to help me write out a melody line for the music. That was wa-ay too much work.

I realized that I don't have to play the melody line, since the vocalists are singing it. So, now, I just play chords (solid, broken, whatever), runs up and down or whatever I feel like. I just improvise and it's alot of fun.

Now, even when I have a melody line (and, I can often get one, now, off of the CCLI website, which I didn't used to have access to), I often choose not to play a melody because I enjoy the improvisation more.

~ Faith
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be talented!

I used to sing in some choral groups, and the better singers could get along if the accompaniment didn't include the melody line. Every once in a while I was in a group that fell apart if the melody line wasn't pretty definitely spelled out by the piano or whatever the accompaniment was.

You do have eclectic tastes. I guess I do too:

early music
folk music
hard rock
rhythm and blues
jazz (Dixieland, boogie)
blues
classical
Baroque
some choral music
unusual instruments like didgeridoo and autoharp
FaithS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The congregation does fine without the melody line, because our vocalists in our group are leading and do fine. Never thought about it, that it might be difficult to sing without it.

I always wished that I could sing, too. I enjoy singing, and, at first, the audio people always expected to mike me while I was playing piano, because some of the pianists sing along. (I always said no.)

I sing pretty good alto, sometimes. But, I am off-key too frequently to be miked. And, it's even more difficult for me to sing while I'm also playing piano. I thought I was the only one who had trouble with that, but our pastor of music and worship says that's hard for her.

~ Faith
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sing while playing piano but I wouldn't have tried that in front of other people. I would have been more likely to make mistakes in the singing and the piano playing.

I never was good at doing two things at once. I have the notion that singing while playing guitar is much easier though I've never tried it.
FaithS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesdays are my "fun" volunteer day of the week. (Talked about that, earlier, in this thread.)

I "practice" piano at my friend's elderly mother's home in the morning. Then I go to a nursing home, and play for devotions, followed by "dinner music".

They let me play whatever I want, so I really do make use of my eclectic tastes there.

Today, in addition to some show tunes, classical, a hymn arrangement, children's Sunday School songs, I did a lot of country (including Willie Nelson, John Denver, etc.).

I'll choose some other genre next week.

~ Faith
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be adaptable--able to play piano anywhere you go!

It sounds as if you play without having to look at the sheet music too. I've always envied people who could do that. I had a few pieces memorized but it took a lot of effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> MUSIC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse