About another board (oops!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: About another board (oops!) Reply with quote

It's bad form to talk about another board on a message board, but it's been done here in the past and so I'll indulge in a bit of board-bashing.

BrainTalk has changed in recent years. John Lester is no longer in the picture at all, so far as I can figure out, and Mike Weins AKA Zombie Slayer seems to be in complete charge.

He's been deleting posts with a liberal hand on the MS board lately, and when one of mine got erased with no prior notice, no explanation later (though I sent a message objecting, I got no reply), I had had enough.

I've also watched as a couple of people got suspended who probably shouldn't have been.

This MS Speaks board started up partly because I was tired of "over-moderated" boards. There are people who have been crying for more moderation over at BT but I haven't been among them.

So in case anybody was wondering why I left, there's the reason. It had nothing to do with any member of that board.

I've been fairly busy lately, and I'd prefer to put my energy into places on the Internet where I don't have to worry so much about saying the wrong thing.

Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 2007-2010.

Evergreen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hell,

I am, while understanding your departure, sorry to see you go from there.

You often are "the voice of reason"... in a chaotic, swirling, emotion laden, mess of unstructured, unreasoned, over-reactive...

you know...

I have my own disatisfaction built up over the years at that site but I always figured I'd go out in a "blaze of glory" a true "melt down" um, "burning my bridges" "leaving....

Oh, yeah...this is not about me...

I'll keep an eye out for you here and elsewhere.

Take Care
Brian
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Brian.

This may just be a snit I'm in and will work my way out of. In the meantime, it's probably a good idea for me to pass the birthday threads on to somebody else. Maybe somebody will come along with fresh ideas.

I do try to post something here every day even if it's just quoted material from elsewhere.
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Agate, I guess I am surprised. I didn't think the day would come where you'd leave there.

I have to say though, it would seem to me it has to be more than a removed post and a few banned people to upset you enough ... wouldn't it? We've been through a lot worse than that on some of these forums, but I've never seen you give up on any of them.

I don't post there much myself any more, because I don't like the dynamics at the moment. I can't be bother fighting about things, unless it's really worth it to me, but it seems that it's constant fighting going on over NOTHING of significance.

Cherie
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BT admin seemed to be on a deleting rampage in the last week or so. There were a couple of other threads he intervened in before the one that blew me away.

I'd become alarmed about all of the moderating activity, but the last deletions (one of my own posts as well as many other people's) for no clear reason I could see made me wonder if somebody had taken leave of his senses.

Don't mind me. I'm just much too attached to my own words to have them erased by some anonymous person for no reason. There's a word for people like me: egotistical.

If you write words down, you've made something. Maybe not a great work of art but something all your own. Your work deserves more respect than it gets on heavily moderated boards, IMO.
lady_express_44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have never been totally "fair" there ... but they sure seem to be a lot more fair than at other boards I've seen.

For instance, another forum I sometimes go on will delete entire threads, because one guy starts stirring trouble. I have spent many, many hours preparing my responses and *POOF*, they disappear because some ass stirs trouble ... which was his goal anyway. angryfire

Cherie
Hope66

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitate to post in this thread...as I don't want to fan any fires.

I supppose tho' I too have experienced questionable treatment on BT, so I do sympathize.

I'm still wondering what do do wtih my feelings about that... And perhaps it boils down to simply 'moving on,' On one hand it seems kind of like "hey, I still have an opnion that I'd like to share..." but on the other hand it feels more like, "okay, I get it, I'd best pack up my ruck-sack and move along."

Does that make any sense?

Hope so ;)
Cheers,
Hope
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense.

I see the need for moderators on large boards like BT. But it's too bad when moderators on either a large board or a small one get too eager to delete or change posts or to ban people.

I'll miss some people at BT--there are people there I never have any contact with elsewhere. I've been reading their posts for years. I'll probably keep on reading there and sometimes I'll be unable to resist an impulse to say something. I can't bring myself to cancel my registration. scratch

There are quite a few people doing just this at BT already. You won't hear from them for a year or so, and then all of a sudden there they are with a post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse