Movements within Christianity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> FIGHT CLUB - BRING IT ON!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Movements within Christianity Reply with quote

This I think is one of the most fundamental problems with Christianity. It is becoming Southernized, which causes resentment from people on the political left.

http://atheism.about.com/od/christianismnationalism/p/ConfederateSout.htm
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting article and very true, I think.

I may be one of the very few people in the US who have never read Gone with the Wind or seen the movie, but I've heard enough about both to know that that one story went a long way towards keeping the Southern romantic legends alive--those legends that are doing damage to this day.
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, the basic thesis that religion was BEHIND the civil war must be incorrect. Some people used religion to try to justify the civil war, but it couldn't have been as central a factor as this article would wish to portray it.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get that from the article. I thought it was saying that Christianity in the southern version was used as an important prop for the Confederacy.

It's always helpful to believe that God is on your side if you're as religious a bunch as people in the South were at the time (and many still are).
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what this article says and how widespread the Southern Baptist church is, that article must be correct, to a certain extent.

http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/religion/southern_baptist_history.html

I am hesitant to bring this up on a larger board, because the wrong person might think that I am blaming all modern southern baptists as representing a movement of pure evil...though that appears to be approximately how things started out.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good that the article you just gave a link to points out that there's a big difference between the Northern Baptists and the Southern Baptists.

The Northern Baptists have always been a completely different group in their way of thinking.
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be so. They drove the Southern Baptists out of the faith because they wanted to embrace abolitionism as part of their religious movement and ideology.

I know that it is not just me, but many Canadians as well as Northerners are pretty much horrified by people like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. Many of us grew up with no exposure to this type of extremism.

So, that may be another reason for the percieved division between the red states and the blue states. There tends to be a lack of understanding and a sense of shock on both sides when it comes to the anti-civil-rights christian agenda which appears to come mostly from the South, or from states that were populated after the civil war.
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting article that also points to an attempted defense at slavery being the reason for the development of american fundamentalist ideology in the South.

http://liberalslikechrist.org/about/slavery&southernchurches.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> FIGHT CLUB - BRING IT ON! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse