Associating w/women might be bad for men, study shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Associating w/women might be bad for men, study shows Reply with quote

Abstract, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, May 15, 2009:

Quote:
Interacting With Women Can Impair Men’s Cognitive Functioning

Johan C. Karremans, a, , Thijs Verwijmerena, Tila M. Pronka and Meyke Reitsmaa

aRadboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Abstract

The present research tested the prediction that mixed-sex interactions may temporarily impair cognitive functioning. Two studies, in which participants interacted either with a same-sex or opposite-sex other, demonstrated that men’s (but not women’s) cognitive performance declined following a mixed-sex encounter. In line with our theoretical reasoning, this effect occurred more strongly to the extent that the opposite-sex other was perceived as more attractive (Study 1), and to the extent that participants reported higher levels of impression management motivation (Study 2). Implications for the general role of interpersonal processes in cognitive functioning, and some practical implications, are discussed.

Matt

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men sure do have a lot of testosterone. It has a huge affect on our concentration.
cricket52

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha - interesting study. Kind of explains why so many of us have ex's.

I wonder too if men stress with communication. Women are verbal and not a lot of men are comfortable with small talk and smoozing.

Put a group of men in with women my age and it wouldn't be a testosterone problem, it would be an exercise in keeping up with the conversations. toothy7
Matt

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small talk is not my thing. So, you might have a good point there. I tend to stick to serious conversations.
agate
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed it too--that men tend to let women dominate a conversation, at least if it's a couple of partners (married or together as partners).

In fact, men must have lots of patience, judging from the way I've seen them sit through hours of hen-party discussions of food preparation, interior decorating, sewing, and money-saving opportunities by women who don't seem to notice that they're excluding all of the men in the group.

Maybe boys learn at an early age that this is the way the world is going to be? Lots of chattering women around?

Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 2007-2010.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    msspeaks Forum Index -> GENERAL All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse